4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

wmp 11 doesn't play wmv's

My son has a Dell Inspiron 1545 Vista SP 2 laptop with WMP 11
    --- It played ok when he first got the computer. Somewhere along the way he started using itunes. Sometime last new he uninstalled itunes but now WMP 11 doesn't play wmv's that he gets in his mail. Those same wmv's play ok on my XP computer
    --- WMP is his default program fo WMV's
    --- I don't see any itunes in his computer so I suspect he uninstalled it ok

Please help us troubleshoot how to fix this problem

The message he gets is Windows media player cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file plus This file is missing media usage rights I found somewhere in the settings but I don't recall how

A friend told me we should install WMP 12 and Windows Movie Maker but I don't know whether or not those ideas make sense and I prefer to check out recommendations in this forum

Thanks
    Have a look through this thread on the Microsoft Community forums: Can't play WMV files in Media Player 11

There is bound to be something in there that will resolve it, let us know.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Clint. I have been looking for solutions and haven't been successful yet.
    At first I was troubleshooting the first error message we had found: "Windows media player cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file"
    Then when I found the 2nd error message "This file is missing media usage rights" I will be checking this one out now
    --- Usually I'm pretty good at recording the steps I take but I didn't record how I found the 2nd error message
    --- I suspect its in the properties of the wmv files he wishes he could play
    I believe your link will be very helpful in troubleshooting both issues and I will post back when I find the solution
    Unfortunately I won't have access to his computer for about a month as we live some distance away from each other
    I would like to note that the built in WMP11 list play ok and other videos we find on the internet play ok although I don't know what format they are as I don't know how to find that out