New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 Modern UI Applications

One of the Main Reasons for developing Windows 8 was to provide an Environment to run Modern UI (Metro) Applications.
    Does anyone use them?
    Are there any useful ones?
    Which Apple/Andoid ones are useful and hence should be available on Windows 8?

Thanks
    You can find a thread on this topic here:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...n-Apps-Best-of

I personally dislike the chrome interface with no menus so the only ones I use are games (Wordament, Microsoft Solitaire collection, and Minesweeper). Wordament bugs me because it always starts in the middle of a game. The Microsoft apps are prettier but they are tied to Xbox online and I would have preferred the old versions which are quicker to start up.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2013-01-20 at 12:18.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Those questions are too generic. I'm sure even a fart app is useful if it makes you and your son laugh. Is there some specific area you are looking into?

Thanks
    Also I believe as time goes on and continues more apps are becoming available for the Win 8 Style. Even though I do not use a lot of the apps yet, there are now some I might consider. I recently downloaded the Nook app. I also use a couple of the games and I like the graphics with these games. I might look at the Skype app. The older desktop version was not impressive to me. So as F.U.N. stated it depends on what you are looking for. I belive I read a couple of weeks ago that the number of available apps has passed 200K. As with Apple and Android, most of these are probably not what many would want.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My original question was designed to see if anyone could show that how Windows 8 Modern UI Apps were developing into a viable "must have" or even "useful" environment.

As far as I can see they are not. MS cannot even give them a good name!

Many Metro Apps are just frontends to existing Internet Apps (the Internet version of the App is often more functional and easier to use!)

MS promised Developers that they could make money developing Metro Apps.

Well very few are! In many Categories in the Windows Store, there are no Apps to purchase only "Free" Applications.

Some of these "Free" apps are used to generate Sales for the Authors Products etc.

As I see it the whole of MS's Modern UI environment is failing to lift off.

How is it fairing on Phones?

If it does not take off there it must surely have a limited life, so were does that leave Windows 9?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Too early to tell I think, like everything else Win 8 related. According to Windows Weekly though, only about a million RT devices have been sold, so if 60M licenses have been sold, that leaves some number up to 59 million computers or devices that have no need for the Store and MS apps and Metro U.I. That would not seem to bode well, when also considering that computer sales are bad, down significantly year over year and folks are very reticent, at least where Windows systems are concerned, to pay the current going price for a touch interface computer, instead opting for the three to five hundred dollar system.

How does Microsoft turn that around without subsidizing the heck out of what they thought would be high margin profit in hardware for themselves and their affiliates just as Apple enjoys? No clue.

And I would say that other than a few apps that look good full screen and have been "beefed up" compared to their desktop counterparts (Minesweeper for example), and a few other apps that have the right mix of content, that being not too much and not too little and well organized, they compare very poorly with the capability, dexterity, versatility and more complex desktop applications. For me, with no previous experience with mobile touch interaction, I'm moderately surprised at just how much compromise there is, and I don't see how that can really improve much since the same interface still has to work well on smaller screens so it can't favor large screens. I was just checking out Avid's Studio 16 app, uff, not in a million years, only way is if I were forced into all mobile touch and they paid me to use it, and that's all because it's so limited compared to the desktop version with which I am so familiar. Same applies to photo editing applications for me.

Where does that leave Windows 9 or Blue if the current 98.3% ratio stays in effect? Well in my opinion it would be relatively easy to prioritize the desktop over the Metro U.I., or make it a GD option depending on what interface is appropriate or desired. Much much harder would be the lump of hot dry coal Microsoft would have to swallow before actually making that happen.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-01-21 at 05:40.

Thanks
    We are less than 3 months into Win 8 released version. I believe it's too early to determine if useful apps will come out for Win 8. Once Surface Pro and more of these type devices are released, perhaps at that time we will start seeing more useful apps. Again it might be easier to tell if we knew what type apps you are talking about. As far as I can tell, the quality of apps seems on par with iOS and Android. There are millions of apps available for those 2 OSs and just a relatively few that can actually be used for real work. It seems most of the apps are for play.

The Win 8 apps also seem to be mostly for play to date.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    There are millions of apps available for those 2 OSs and just a relatively few that can actually be used for real work. It seems most of the apps are for play.
    On the contrary, there are a lot of very useful IOS apps that can be used for work - a lot more than Windows Metro. Of course there are junk apps as well but Metro has a long way to go to catch up to IOS in the apps arena. IOS apps are more user friendly in my opinion as they don't completely get rid of menus. And the mail app supports POP.

Jerry

Thanks
    When you look at the numbers of iOS app versus the useful apps, the percentage is small. These have been out for several years. Win 8 has been out for less than 3 months. Hardly a viable comparison IMO. Let's see what Win 8 apps look like a year or 2 from now, or even 6 months from now. Many of the apps that will be used for actual work are in development. That's why I say let's see what develops over the next several months.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted