Thanks

Table of Contents Formatting - Word 2003

I have a 250-page document with about 100 TOC entries. All of them are first level entries right now, but I want to change some to a second level. I've worked reasonably much with TOCs, but that was many years ago and maybe with previous versions of word. I retain some skills, but they are rusty.

My TOC picks up its entries from a newly-created Style named 'A Title'. I plan to make some of these items second level by reformatting them as 'A1 Title'.

The TOC is pretty long, so I've put it into a section formatted for two columns, where it fits nicely on one page.

To make everything fit, I have to manually format the material in the TOC. I've formatted it as Arial Narrow 10 point, which works nicely on the text in the TOC entries.

The page numbers, however, don't want to go into Arial Narrow. I had them there once, I think, but they reset to Arial.

My first need is to force the page numbers to Arial Narrow (though I can live with Arial if changing the font is too hard).

My larger need is to get better control over the formatting of the TOC entries. I think I've seen styles for this in the distant past, but I can't find them now. I want to control the fonts more directly, and I certainly want to control the formatting of the still-to-be-created second level entries in the TOC.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Lou,

The formatting of TOC entries is determined by TOC styles (there are nine TOC styles available, one for each available heading). You'll need to format each TOC style individually, but if you end up using only two heading levels, that means editing only two TOC styles.

It's always preferable to edit the TOC styles rather than applying direct formatting to the generated TOC itself. Keep in mind that the generated TOC is just a code. Also, if you regenerate the TOC, any direct formatting that you've applied will be removed and the TOC entry will revert to the formatting of the TOC style.

I'm providing a link to one of my blog posts that explains how to edit the TOC styles in the newer versions of Word. For your version, click the Format menu, Styles and Formatting, and look for the TOC styles you want to modify. If you don't see the TOC styles listed, click Show > All Styles or Show > Custom.

From that point on, you should be able to follow the instructions in my post for modifying a TOC style and saving your changes, either just in the current document or in that document and all future documents based on the underlying template. If anything isn't clear, post again and I'll write more detailed steps.

http://compusavvy.wordpress.com/2011...007-word-2010/

Jan
    Last edited by janbphd; 2013-01-20 at 15:58.
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to janbphd For This Useful Post:

CyndieBrowning (2013-03-01),Lou Sander (2013-01-20)

Thanks
    That did it! The key was getting to the Custom option. All the TOC styles were unchecked, so of course they never showed up in the Styles and Formatting pane. I KNEW that I had seen them there in the past, and I didn't know what had happened to them.

BTW, I see you are a Wordpress person. I'm not one, but I have two websites that were made with CuteSite Builder, a very old program that nobody but me knows any more. I want to make them editable and updateable by something that is known by lots and lots of people. The idea is to enable people besides me to keep them going. People have said that Wordpress is the way to go, but neither they nor I have enough knowledge to make decisions about what I should do. I need some brief consultation with somebody who is expert in using Wordpress for web sites. Could that be you?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Note that if you do need to make direct formatting changes to a ToC, you can choose to update just the page numbers rather than rebuild the TOC field code. Of course, you should be careful to leave any such direct ToC formatting until the final stage of document production because you'd need to redo it if new headings forced a rebuild.

To overcome that drawback if I know the document will need to have the ToC rebuilt, I typically record a macro to do the direct formatting so it is easily repeatable.