Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Home Group Provider Service.

I can't start the Home Group Listener Service in Win 7 Pro, although the Home Group Provider Service starts with no problem. If anyone can tell me how to sort this out I would be grateful.
    Last edited by royw; 2013-01-21 at 13:31.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    First, run SFC /scannow from an elevated command prompt. If that finds no errors, try the following debug procedure given in
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...9-32c963cd1573

To troubleshoot the issue, please perform the following steps.

1. Assure the Server service is started.

2. Temporarily turn off firewall and antivirus program, and then verify the problematic service again.

3. Leave HomeGroup completely and start the service again.

a. Click the Start Button, type "cmd" (without quotation marks), in the search result list, right click on Cmd.exe and select Run as administrator.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

b. In the popup window, type the following commands and press Enter one by one:

Net stop p2pimsvc

2. Access t he following folder and clear all files inside:

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Ro aming\PeerNetworking

3. Click the Start Button, type "cmd" (without quotation marks), in the search result list, right click on Cmd.exe and select Run as administrator.

Net start p2pimsvc

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks for replying.

I ran sfc /scannow as an Administrator and carried out all the steps you mentioned, but still can't start the Home Group Listener Service.

Do you have any other ideas?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Also, is the HomeGroup Provider Service running?
    Did you run the Homegroup troubleshooter?
    Click on the Start orb and type homegroup then click on Find and fix problems with Homegroup.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The HomeGroup Provider Service is running. When I ran the Homegroup troubleshooter it said some problems were network related, and Network Diagnostics said my system time was not synchronised with my local standard time. I tried to configure Internet Time Settings but every time, regardless of which Server I chose on the drop down list, I was told "An error occurred getting the status of the last synchronisation. Access is denied". How do I sort this out?

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Check that the W32Time and Windows Time services are running.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, W32Time service is running but Windows Time Service is not listed. I ran the commands W32tm /register and w32tm /resync, as an Administrator, but got "Access is denied" each time.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Did you run those commands from an elevated command prompt?
    You should have a Windows Time Service. Try the following commands from an elevated command prompt:

Type the following commands in order.
    net stop W32Time
    w32tm /unregister
    w32tm /register
    net start W32Time
    sc query W32Time

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, I did run those commands from an elevated command prompt i.e I ran them as an Administrator.

The results of the Administrator commands you listed are as follows:

net stop W32Time-the W32Time Service was stopped successfully.

w32tm /register- w32 Time Service successfully registered.

net start w32time- system error 1290 has occurred. The service start failed since one or more services in the same process have an incompatible service SID type setting. A service with restricted service SID type can only coexist in the same process with other services with a restricted SID type. If the service SID type for this service was just configured, the hosting process must be restarted in order to start this service.

sc query w32time-:

SERVICE NAME: w32time

TYPE:20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS

STATE: 1 STOPPED

WIN32_EXIT_CODE: 0 (0x0)

SERVICE_EXIT_CODE:0 (0x0)

CHECKPOINT: 0x0

WAIT_HINT: 0x0

I appreciate your help and await your further advice.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    See if the fix shown here helps:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-ac766632bfc2

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, I restarted and the Windows Time Service was in the Services list, was set to Automatic and it had been started. W32Time however was not in the list-does that matter?

Internet Time had been successfully synchronised.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    W32 time is not in my services list on Windows 8 so I suspect you are OK. Good to here your time sync is now working. Try running the Workgroup troubleshooter again.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry, I almost forgot the original reason for this thread. Windows Time Service is still shown as started, so is Homegroup Provider, but I still can't start Homegroup Listener. I ran the Homegroup troubleshooter again and once again was told there was a network problem. Network diagnostics again told me my system time was not synchronised with local time, and couldn't fix this, but I checked Internet Time and it synchronised a minute or so before I ran the troubleshooter.

I am at a loss to know what to try next, unless the problem is somehow related to a service named Intel PROSet Monitoring Service, which I can't start because the file cannot be found. I will Google this and let you know the result.

Roy Whitethread

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, I Googled Intel PROSet Monitoring Service, but got no useful results, so I decided to run the Intel P67 Chipset Support DVD which came with my motherboard, and chose to install the LAN drivers. However, I was told that a newer version of the Intel PROSet Monitoring Service was already installed, and that I should uninstall the newer version if I wanted to install the version on the DVD. The problem is that I cannot trace the Intel PROSet Monitoring Service in Add/Remove Programs and it in not listed in Revo Uninstaller Pro. As I said in my previous post I can't start the Service because the file cannot be found. I am now completely at a loss.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    What is the name of the file that can't be found? Download Everything Search and use it to search for the file.

Do you have an Intel Pro Wireless card? One of the Google Results seemed to indicate that the Proset Monitoring Service was associated with the card. If you do, see if there's a newer driver. You could try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. Also, check your startup entries for an entry related to your wireless card. If there is, try disabling it and let Windows manage wireless connections. As you see, I'm fishing a little here.

Good luck
    Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast