Star Lounger
    Thanks

Usernames and passwords for router setup

I have bought a Vizio XWR100 Dual-Band HD Wireless Router and have not set it up yet. I am wondering how many Usernames and passwords/phrases I will need to get this Router going.

I have AT&T DSL so I know I will need my Username and password for set-up.

I printed out all the information from Vizio and it kind of scares the you know what out of me I would like to have some very good Usernames and passwords/phrases ready before I attempt to set this up.

Can someone help?

Dell Intel Core i5 M 450@ 2.40GHz Intel HD Graphics Laptop
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP-1

Thanks
    Glenda

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    You just need the user name and password which Vizio assigned to administer the router. You'll need to run the router setup. You should change the admin password for the router during the router setup as those passwords are generally known. You'll also need to setup a pass phrase for your wireless connectivity to the router.

Your AT&T information should have nothing to do with the router. It should operate independently of the router.

I hope you have an ethernet cable to connect to the router to perform the setup.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe,

Yes I have my DSL ethernet cable and 1 came with my router. So I am looking at 2 passwords/phases. and 1 username.

Thanks..............glenda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glendad View Post
    Thanks Joe,

Yes I have my DSL ethernet cable and 1 came with my router. So I am looking at 2 passwords/phases. and 1 username.

Thanks..............glenda
    Make the router password something you can remember and write it down somewhere. Just in case you forget the password, routers have a method to reset the router to factory specifications. The method should be in the manual.

Joe

Thanks
    Many newer routers also have a separate sign-on for guests. My Linksys allows me to set up the default PW for my wife and I's devices (PCs, smartphone, Nooks, etc.) but gives me the option of setting a different PW for guest access. The guest access does not allow changing anything. It does not even allow opening the router configuration screen, but does allow guests to sign-on and use the internet access.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    It is not necessary to change your SSID (the name of the router which someone sees when they are looking at available wireless networks). But if you decide to, pick something generic, such as "footballfan01". I would not put my name (e.g. "JohnSmith"), because if you do, your neighbors will know that it is your router, and an unethical neighbor might try to hack your network.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK.............Thanks you for your time gentlemen.

Glenda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't ever use passwords you can remember, except for one complex one. Use this password to open a password manager and let the manager store all the other passwords you require. Then you always have a copy and it's easy to backup.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Don't ever use passwords you can remember, except for one complex one. Use this password to open a password manager and let the manager store all the other passwords you require. Then you always have a copy and it's easy to backup.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks Paul...............no not storing passwords online. Too many hackers out there. I have a system I work with and don't really need to memorize. I am using phases more and more now and that is helping along with numbers and symbols. So far so good.

Thanks for your info.
    Glenda

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Glenda, The downside is if you are not able to enter the password for some reason your accounts are not usable. If you have a password manager you can allow someone else to manage your things.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post

cheers, Paul
    I take a different approach -- I select a password that I can easily remember, but that others can't figure out. For example, I might have visited a certain city once, and I really liked a particular restaurant in that city. I will use words from that restaurant, plus some numbers, to make my password. No one will be able to figure it out, but I will easily remember it.

The problem is, if you pick a password you can't remember, you likely won't remember it. And I'd rather not depend on a password manager in order to get into my stuff, because what if the password manager fails for whatever reason?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    The problem is, if you pick a password you can't remember, you likely won't remember it. And I'd rather not depend on a password manager in order to get into my stuff, because what if the password manager fails for whatever reason?
    My password manager allows me to get a file with all the details, which I keep encrypted with 256 AES on my computers and on my cloud backup, so I can access that if something goes wrong.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    A password manager is software and is therefore easy to maintain or have a backup copy.
    Given the number of passwords now required to run your life it is increasingly difficult to manage in your head.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Write password on the Router

I agree one should change the password from the Routers default, so it can not easily be reset via remote access.
    For convenience, I recommend writing the admin name and password details on the router.
    This may seem insecure, but anyone who can read the password on the router can also press the reset button and use the default router admin and password.
    Cheers.
    gw.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok Gentlemen.................thanks much for all the good advice.

Glenda