Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to clean drives

I want to reinstall W7 and I want do it on my computer as if it was brand new and I have 3 questions. 1. What is a easy simple way to wipe drives so you can do a reinstall just like it was a new computer? Don't be concerned about saving anything. 2. I have heard both pros and cons as to if can you do a clean install using custom install from an upgrade disk? 3 What is the difference between W7 Basic and Home Premium? All answers and opinions will be greatly appreciated.
    Phil.

Thanks
    During the install from DVD, after the Custom Install screen, the next screen will have a link to Disk Options (Advanced). Choose this link, highlight your drive that contains the present version of Win 7 and choose Format from the options. Once the disk is formatted you can continue the installation on a clean formatted disk.

You can definitely do a Custom (Clean) install with the Upgrade Media. This procedure is exactly the way I installed Win 8 on my 3 PCs.

Win 7 Basic (or Starter Edition I believe some call it) comes with many of the lower powered PCs. Most of the average Win 7 PCs comes with Win 7 HP. I believe you will be much happier with it.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-01-21 at 19:05.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-01-21)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well Ted nice to talk to you again I have only one further question how do I know which drive contains the present version? it is so nice to have a relationship with a fellow Californian.
    Phil.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYPHIL View Post
    I want to reinstall W7 and I want do it on my computer as if it was brand new and I have 3 questions. 1. What is a easy simple way to wipe drives so you can do a reinstall just like it was a new computer? Don't be concerned about saving anything. 2. I have heard both pros and cons as to if can you do a clean install using custom install from an upgrade disk? 3 What is the difference between W7 Basic and Home Premium? All answers and opinions will be greatly appreciated.
    Phil.
    It's less likely that you will be able to perform a traditional clean install unless you have an original genuine MS operating system disk.
    Look into your computer's original documentation or visit the site of your computer's manufacture and search based on your tag number.
    You will find information on how to return to factory fresh state.

It is far more likely that you have one of the following:
    A partition that contains the original operating system installation, either image or OEM install.
    A DVD disk that contains an OEM copy of your laptop's operating system specifically set up by the manufacturer of your computer.
    A factory image of an OEM operating system disk specifically set up by the manufacturer of your computer.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-01-22)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe that Phil stated in another post somewhere that his computer came with Win 7 Starter and he upgraded it, either to HP or Pro, (hard to keep up as he's a prolific poster). In any event, he should be able to clean install from his upgrade disk.

Phil,
    Put your disk in your dvd/cd tray and restart. Press any key to boot and follow instructions. When you come to a choice of installs, choose custom. A window will come up showing partitions on your machine. Highlight your Win 7 installation(probably C partition). Look for something in options to format partition, do it, and click install. Very easy.

Rich

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rlfvt For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-01-22)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint thanks for your Post. Rich now you see I don't know so much but I sure am wanting to learn. Your conclusion is almost right the computer came clean with nothing on it I just have those W7 discs which are genuine and not copies so I would assume that the same instructions apply. Thank you very much for your assistance i am sure if it wont work I will be back asking questions. Thank you.
    Phil.

Thanks
    One of the better guides for clean installing: Installing Windows 7
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-01-22)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint thanks if your still up I know its 11 at night but I stopped the installation at the point that It said that old windows files would be in a seperate folder or some such thing that is exactly what I am trying to get away from I don't want any old folders so I am sitting here and manually deleting items from C drive which of course you know is taking forever so I know I am probably doing it the wrong way. Talk to me.
    Phil.

Thanks
    Phil. Before you start, you can name the disk whatever you wish. If you open My Computer you will see all your disks listed. I assume your Win 7 OS is in the C Drive (when you are booted to Win 7). Right click the drive and choose properties. You will see the label near the top of the Window. Just change it to a descriptive title to something that lets you know exactly what it is. For example my Drive is called TedWin8Pro

DiskLabel.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Phil,
    If you don't format the partition/drive before installing the windows old file will be created. This is in case you need something from your old installation. It can be deleted later through Disk Cleanup/clean system files. As you don't wish to keep anything, a format would give you a fresh start.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello to Ted, Rich,Clint and sorry if I left someone out. Rich I don't want anything from old files unless the reinstall needs them for some reason I don't want them so I have done what i suppose your not supposed to do and gone into Computer C drive and manually started to delete stuff from C drive which is a pain in the neck as I am sure you know I still have 29 Gb that I cant get rid of when I say I want to clean drive I mean eliminate everything off of it I know there must be a way to do it. This all comes about because until I met Ted and ruirib and a few other people on this Forum I never Knew what Backup was so whenever I had a problem I would just use System Restore and if that didn't work I would reinstall dumb and Ignorant huh? So whats the secret to getting rid of that last 29 GB? Thanks ahead of time .
    Phil.

Thanks
    Phil, the way to empty the drive is to format it. If this is an OS drive the procedure I mention in post #2 will format the drive as a part of the installation.

If the drive you wish to empty is not an OS drive, you can also open disk manager (search disk management, create and format hard disk partitions), Right Click the drive in question and choose delete, which will leave unallocated space. You can format the drive to leave an empty logical drive.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-01-22)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much Ted I am afraid its something I will have to ponder on at look at a bit to see if I understand what you are talking about.
    Phil

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted when I open computer and open C drive in the box it says format and I click it and it says I cant format because it contains the version of Windows I am using and it may stop my computer from working.
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint I hate to admit it but your post is way over my head but thanks anyway.
    Phil.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast