New Lounger
    Thanks

Exceed Downloads Limits

Hello Folks:
    I'm all brand new and shiny to this site and at this time I am not posting a question; just some information that I would appreciate comments upon.
    My situation started about four days ago after I had reinstalled my Windows 7 Home Premium O/S. To makes things clear, this is a common practise for. I do it twice a year just to make sure my AV software has not missed something that would allow my computer to be hi-jacked. I also do it when I start to get too many annoying glitches in the system. I go to Windows 7 Forums for answers (These folks are very knowledgeable.), but if I don't get an answer that clears up the problem within 24 hours I reinstall the O/S. I find this is much quicker than trying to deal with Microsoft. I can be back up and running with all my essential services in less than 3 hours including the interminable update time. As an example, the issue I am about to describe required 15-16 hours of dedicated time, numerous discussions with people on the chat line, and 3 phone calls to achieve a resolution.
    The issue is with Microsoft Office Home and Studen 2010. When I attempted to install the application from a link stored on a backup disk, I was informed that I had exceeded my allowable number of downloads. Now this is in spite of the fact that I have only installed this application on a single computer and in spite of the fact that Microsoft promotes this application as having unlimited downloads available. Initially, the Microsoft agents informed me that my warranty had expired and it would cost me $99.00 to resolve the problem. Even after I explained that there was no problem with the software; it was the fact that the program refused to install that was the problem I finally had to resort to reading them a letter sent to me by my lawyer, which explained that they were in violation of the Denial of Service legislation in Canada and the Province of Alberta. Eventually, they did not remove the blocks on my original program but installed a totally new program with a new activation key. Dealing with these people is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer---it feels good when you quit.
    I send this only as a cautionary note: when Microsoft is giving you a runaround, make sure you know your rights, and don't give up! These bandits will use any excuse to get into your wallet.
    Regards
    Powell Lucas

Thanks
    Did you try phone activation:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

I have found them very understanding for Windows activation in the past.

Also, in the future, take a disk image of your system once you have it up and working. You can then save a lot of time by restoring the image when things aren't working well or you want to start over. If you restore an image of the system with a working installation of Office, it will already be activated.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments Jerry. I'm not sure what you mean by disk image of my system. Could you give me more information please?
    Regards
    Powell Lucas

Thanks
    Can I make one suggestion that will cut down the re-install time.

When your re-install is complete with all customizations and apps installed. Create an Image with a good 3rd party Imaging app. This will be your gold standard Image. Now if you have to re-install, insert your Imaging Rescue Boot Disk, connect the media you store your Images on and restore that Gold Standard Image. This takes about 10 minutes.

Even better, as long as things are working well, I create a new Image after each patch Tuesday so that my Images are always up to date. In this manner restoring to a pristine condition is very fast. In my case I also keep my data stored on a separate partition so when I have to restore an Image, my data is not touched by the restoration.

edit: Sorry I did not read Jerry's entire comment.

Imaging is a process where an app is installed on your PC that takes an exact "snapshot" of everything on your PC and stores it as an image file. Ideally the Image file should be stored on an Ext. HD for example, so that if the HD dies you do not loose the Image. The Image includes ALL customizations, installed apps, everything. There are many imaging apps discussed in the Maintenance Forum. I use Acronis True Image 2013 (paid with a free trial) others use Macrium Reflect (free or paid) EaseUS ToDo (free and paid) and others. You would choose an app, install it, then create a Rescue Boot Disk from whichever app you chose to Image with. In this manner if your PC is so corrupted or has a bad virus you can insert the Rescue Boot Disk, boot to the Imaging app from the disk, connect your media where your image is stored, and restore your drive. As part of the restore the dire is formatted thus wiping out viruses. The restoration takes between 10 and 30 minutes and gets you back to the exact operation when the Image was created.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Here's a detailed comparison of Windows 7 built in imaging utility and a freeware third party utility Easus. It gives you a good idea of the steps involved.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...n-disk-imager/

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    why don't u try to recover the backup files
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________
    unblocked games at school
    hacking tricks
    Last edited by tabestmaker2; 2014-09-07 at 07:24.