New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2007 addressbook contents disappeared

In Outlook, until today, when I opened a new message and clicked on TO: CC: or BCC: I was able to scroll through a list of everybody I had an email address for and select the ones I wanted to send to.

I cannot do that anymore.

My contacts are still in the contacts folder. I have done nothing intentionally regarding the address book or the contacts.

What happened? How do I fix? How do I prevent it from happening again?

Thanks,
    Don

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Have you checked the properties of your Contacts folder to make sure that "Show this folder as an email address book" is still selected?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. And checked a few other things that I saw in other threads with similar problem. The problem is, in my case the contents disappeared. Not that they were never there.

Another question.... I may end up doing a clean install of Office/Outlook to fix this problem. What do I need to do during installation to insure the contacts and address book function properly? If I use a third party Outlook backup utility would that make a difference?

Thanks for your help,

Don

Thanks
    Did you try clicking on help and the office diagnostics?

Jerry

Thanks
    The problem is with your autocomplete list, not with your contacts list.

Here is an article from Microsoft which may help:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...102534585.aspx

Here's how you can retrieve them from a backup, or from another computer, if the list is in one of those locations:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...001139451.aspx

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    The problem is with your autocomplete list, not with your contacts list.

Here is an article from Microsoft which may help:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...102534585.aspx

Here's how you can retrieve them from a backup, or from another computer, if the list is in one of those locations:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...001139451.aspx
    No, the problem is not with autocomplete. Autocomplete kicks in when you start typing in the To, CC, or BCC field. The OP is clicking on the To, CC, or BCC icon which should bring up the Address book.

Does the Addressbook window apper bu is just blank? If so, make sure the names only radio button is set and Contacts is selected under Addressbook.

Jerry
    Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2007 addressbook contents disappeared

jwitalka: Just ran diagnostics. Do not trust the results. Found errors in every single diagnostic. Files are corrupt, hard drive is going bad, RAM is going bad, Outlook is not up to date (yes it is according to MS Updates), I am not an administrator (yes I am). etc etc etc

mrjimphelps: Autocomplete is working just fine.

jwitalka: When I click on addressbook icon or on TO, CC or BCC the address book search window opens with the Names Only radio button set and Outlook address book" selected by default and No entries in this addressbook" error appears. Change to "More Columns" set and "Type your search keywords . . . ".

If I change Outlook Address Book to Contacts the list appears as expected (with Name Only set). However, the next time I click on TO CC or BCC I have to reset to Contacts again to get the list. This is NOT how it was working before.

It seems to me that before the problem Outlook was using the contacts list to populate the addressbook and then something changed and it quit populating it. What could have changed and how do I change it back?

Note: I checked System Restore but there were no restore points that indicated any changes or updates to Office or Outlook. I did NOT try a restore anyway because restore does not change data and I think contacts and address books are data. Correct me if I am wrong?

Thanks,
    Don

Thanks
    System Restore won't affect the data in your Contact lists which is kept in your .pst file. Even though System Restore won't fix any data error, it could fix a registry or other system error that could affect the ability to read the address book. It wouldn't hurt to do a chkdsk /r although its unlikely to fix this problem. you might also want to run scanpst to check your pst file for errors:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    No, the problem is not with autocomplete. Autocomplete kicks in when you start typing in the To, CC, or BCC field. The OP is clicking on the To, CC, or BCC icon which should bring up the Address book.
    We recently had a problem with losing the autocomplete addresses; that's why I thought of that.

Administrator
    Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

recklessmaverick (2013-01-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I use Outlook 2007 so I went looking for the same instructions for it. I followed the instructions and that has fixed the problem. My only question now now is how did it get changed? The steps necessary to change it are unique enough that I know I did not change it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is hard to tell how it got changed. Perhaps a patch did something. If this is a work PC perhaps a policy was pushed.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would suspect a patch or update of some sort but there is no record of anything being done between the time it worked and the time it went wrong. Just another one of those anomalies that Microsoft software is so famous for.

Thanks again for the help.