3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Please help! I can't uninstall Java.

My Firefox browser (version 18.0.1) indicated that my Java was not up to date, so I attempted to uninstall Java completely using the Control Panel Add/Remove programs app, before installing an update. The uninstall failed, and gave me the attached error message. I then tried Revo Uninstaller, but it failed at the same point, with the same error message. I tried to manually uninstall Java by deleting the DLL file and the Java folder, but "Java 7 Update 10" still shows under Add/Remove programs. I just can't seem to properly uninstall all traces of Java. I tried to install the latest Java version on top of the existing version, hoping that I could then uninstall it, but I got an installation error message (see the 2nd attachment). Also, the Java control Panel app is not shown in my control panel, so I can't even try an uninstall from there.

Can you please help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try JavaRa.

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Bruce. I gave it a try. The latest version wouldn't install (encountered an error message), but the legacy version ran and said that basically it fixed things. But it didn't; the problem remained.

Next I tried CCleaner on the registry. It found a ton of things that it says needed to be cleaned (I won't allow that without much more research), but I only cleaned the 3 or 4 references that were Java related. That didn't solve the problem.

Finally, I bit the bullet and manually scoured and cleaned the registry of all Java references (yes, I backed up the registry first), and then installed the latest Java version. This time, it all worked well!

I still don't understand how it got screwed up in the first place, but I'm happy now.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thomas, thanks for your reply. As I mentioned in my original post, I had already tried Revo.

Administrator
    Thanks
    For future reference, always use the program's uninstall tool as a first step. If that does not work check the vendor site for an uninstall too. If that does not work try a third party uninstaller.

The very last thing to do is to manually uninstall. As you have found, that is extremely time consuming and error prone.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's good advice, Joe. And that's exactly what I did. I tried the Add/Remove Programs in the control panel (which uses the program's uninstall tool). I couldn't find an uninstall tool on the vendor's site, only instructions on how to to use the Add/Remove programs option. Then I tried JavaRa and Revo Uninstaller, both third party uninstallers. So the real time consuming culprit was convincing myself that the program NEEDED to be manually uninstalled (which didn't take all that much time).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    LesF, I noticed in the picture you posted the name of the MSI file: jre1.7.0_10-c.msi
    sounds like you need to download the Java 7 Update 10 package from oracle, run it setup file to install and then uninstall it.
    then after that, I recommend deleting the \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sun\Java\ folder manually

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    np-7930, I thought about doing that, but I couldn't find the Java 7 Update 10 package on the Java website (maybe I didn't know where to look). But at least by removing Java by scrubbing the registry, I'm sure that I have a totally clean installation of Update 11.

However, this is all overcome by events. Heeding the warnings in the latest Windows Newsletter, I have disabled Java on both of my browsers via the Java control panel app. So far, it hasn't been missed.