Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Installed XP, problematic system.

I bought a WinXP SP3 cd and installed the system. It installed on drive I instead of C, detects no modem, no sound card, no SD card port, and Windows Explorer is very slow to open folders.

Is there a way to tell it to install on drive C to possibly resolve these issues or can I not do that now that the system is activated through Microsoft? XP SP2 was installed on drive C previously without these issues so I do not believe it is a hardware problem.

Thanks
    What is drive I ?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That's a classic card reader (built in) system drive letter displacement. You can get the system to drive "C" but you have to open up the case and disconnect the card reader connection and then install XP again. If you can live with the system being on drive "I" there is no harm in that but you would probably have the ever so occasional need for a small "C" drive (not a card reader slot) for some programs that are "hard-wired" when it comes to extracting themselves prior to installation. So if you had another drive or could carve out a small partition (just a few gigs, big enough to contain a temporary extraction folder) from the current one and change drive letters on that one, there would never be a problem.
    I have several "I" drive systems from retail installs and it doesn't bother me at all but if it does bother you, the only way is a redo with the card reader disconnected.

Subsequent activation, automatic or by phone may fail but you could still get it activated again in such a short time period by getting transferred to a real MS tech and just explaining what happened and what you did.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The slowness and non-detected peripherals is a result of not having the proper chipset drivers to go along with the new install. So that depends on what you installed to. If its a computer built by a manufacturer and the motherboard is original then you need to go to that manufacturer's website and get the drivers for your particular system or if you have a driver disc that came with the system, and it was originally XP, use those. If its a system with a new or different motherboard than the original, you need to find the motherboard maker's drivers, perhaps from the manufacturer of the motherboard.

Thanks
    Ok thanks for the help guys. I'll update when I have time to tackle this issue.

Thanks
    If I'm not mistaken the bootable Windows XP install disk should provide options on which drive to setup the installation on.
    If it's an older board, make certain you have the appropriate SATA drivers at the F6 prompt, or you may mis the "C" drive completely.

install_1.jpg
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Ok I found the correct bios update and downloaded it, but I'm not finding the correct sata drivers. This is the hd model ST3200822AS and I'm wanting to install them on xp pro but I only found drivers for vista and win7. I can't connect online for a program to search for the right drivers to install so would you be able to find them?

Thanks
    SATA drivers will need to be loaded at time of install by pressing F6 when prompted, especially with older systems.
    The manufacturer of your computer will have them as part of your mainboard's chipset drivers.
    Ensure that if your hard drive controller is IDE, it is set to such in BIOS.

In the future you may want to slipstream them into your setup disk, especially if you plan to continue to use Windows XP.

The Right Way To Install Windows XP
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I have a gateway 838gm pc. When I go to their support page and click driver downloads it takes me to this "830" page instead since 838gm is not listed on their site and this page has no sata drivers, and it also does not list the correct bios driver since I have a Augsburg Intel D915GAG mb, so their site is not a helpful one. I don't know what to do.

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/pro...artNumber=5389

Thanks
    When looking for chipset drivers you will first go to the manufacture, if they are not present at Gateway, you ID your MB;

D915GAG
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    Right I have those already but I can't find the sata drivers.

Thanks
    Chipset include SATA driver;
    ZZZZZZ.jpg
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    Oh ok thank you I did not know that. Appreciate it.

Can I get all the driver upgrades installed where the audio/internet/card reader will work with drive "I" where I don't have to reinstall windows? Reason I ask is because with the time that's gone by since the original install I doubt ms will reactivate the system.

Thanks
    There is no limit on reinstall and activation, you may do so as many times as you like.
    Check device manager to see exactly what you are missing.
    All of your motherboard based drivers will be located on the Intel site.
    Go to Gateway for the rest, or use the "Download Hardware Vendor Detection Utility" from the Gateway site.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    That's a classic card reader (built in) system drive letter displacement. You can get the system to drive "C" but you have to open up the case and disconnect the card reader connection and then install XP again. If you can live with the system being on drive "I" there is no harm in that but you would probably have the ever so occasional need for a small "C" drive (not a card reader slot) for some programs that are "hard-wired" when it comes to extracting themselves prior to installation. So if you had another drive or could carve out a small partition (just a few gigs, big enough to contain a temporary extraction folder) from the current one and change drive letters on that one, there would never be a problem.
    I have several "I" drive systems from retail installs and it doesn't bother me at all but if it does bother you, the only way is a redo with the card reader disconnected.

Subsequent activation, automatic or by phone may fail but you could still get it activated again in such a short time period by getting transferred to a real MS tech and just explaining what happened and what you did.
    Knowing Microsoft (and other) products, sometimes the assumption that C: is the Windows drive will be hard-coded into whatever he is doing, causing there to be extra hassles.

Also, it would drive me up the wall to have Windows on a drive other than C:.

If it were me, I would start over by disconnecting everything except for the drive I want to put Windows on; I would then do a clean install of Windows; I would then reconnect everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast