2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cross Reference Inserts Page

I have a large document I'm working on with many cross references but I'm having a problem. I insert a reference to a heading, it looks fine for a while, just the text of the heading is inserted as a field but then latter it inserts the whole page that heading is on. I'm not sure but it may be inserting everything from that heading to the next heading which just happens to be a page.

I deleted all these pages once and repaired the text but it just did it again.

What gives?

Word 2007, sp2
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Correction, it's putting in 3 pages that span 3 heading2's and they're inserted as fields just like the cross reference. If I select the text it all shows up with a dark background and when you mouse over it you get a "Ctrl-Click to follow link" pop up. Not sure but I think this may be happening when I print and it updates references.

It's also changing from portrait to landscape by itself.
    Last edited by c_dewitt; 2013-01-22 at 11:21.
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried opening the document and doing a repair? Because to me it sounds like the hidden bookmarks for these headings are getting corrupted.

Background: when you insert a heading or a caption Word automatically creates hidden bookmarks around the heading/caption. When you insert the x-ref later Word is actually linking to the hidden bookmark. Here in my environment here users often want a caption to start on a new page so they insert a hard page break at the beginning of the caption. That hard page break then becomes part of the hidden bookmark, and the x-ref to the caption gets a page break as well. Something similar to this could be happening to the hidden bookmarks for your headings, so that the bookmark now contains all 3 of those pages.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Beej -
    Thank you. That sounds like what might be happening, I also have hard page breaks and explicit book marks (Ctrl-Shift F5) with most of these headings. I tried doing an Open and Repair on a corrupt copy though and it didn't do anything.
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    C DeWitt
    Have a look at this post to understand better the ways that editing a document can break cross-references
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post248071
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia