Thread: win XP sp3?

Lounger
    Thanks

win XP sp3?

I have recently installed a new HD and used my recovery discs from Jan 2006 (XP) successfully. I now have my Pyro Audio Creator software up and running again and this machine is devoted soley to this task (for mastering music CD's to Red Book specifications).

Thanks to all who helped with the advice on the IDE HD. http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-HD-amp-Win-XP

I took Clint's advice and purchased a new drive at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822144532

All went very well and I now have XP sp2 and have been updating adobe, etc. I checked over some Windows Secrets newsletters I have saved on preparing XP for the long haul (Isssue 255, 081210) and a couple of others that followed by Fred Langa and am following up on some of that.

I have two current questions, please:

1) I assume I should update to sp3 and still receive updates until March 2014? How do I do that since I receive no auto-updates on sp2? I thought I saw something on a critical hotfix I needed to install prior to downloading and installing sp3? Do I just download this from Microsoft?

2) One of the few things I lost when my old HD died was my folder of articles I had saved on page file size. I'm old enough to conveniently forget everything nowadays and I can't remember...something like 2 1/2 X the size of something or depends on the size of the HD, etc? How do I set that from the default?

Much appreciated. I am very relieved to have my pc and software back! Thanks again to all!

Best, Robby K

Thanks
    You can download XP SP3 here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=24

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK that says:

"DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 3 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP."

I turned on Auto Update but if I read the newsletters correctly, only sp3 updates, so nothing has happened and when I attempt this (using update) at windows update, the page eventually states something like, "the webpage failed to load" or something inappropriate like that.

Well, I guess I'll download sp3 at Windows Update, but read more carefully about the attn: hotfix prior to install.

Thanks
    That warning is there because the download contains the SP3 files for all versions of XP. Getting it from Windows Update downloads just the files needed by your specific version. Ignore the warning and download the file. It will detect your version and install OK.

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

robbyk (2013-01-22)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    That warning is there because the download contains the SP3 files for all versions of XP. Getting it from Windows Update downloads just the files needed by your specific version. Ignore the warning and download the file. It will detect your version and install OK.

Jerry
    OK Jerry, thanks will do.

Incidentally, I found some good info on page file sizing in XP so with Jerry's answer I am good to go.

Thank you, Robby K

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You can download XP SP3 here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=24

Jerry
    Well that went badly.

All appeared well and the installer finished and said I needed to restart, but the pc couldn't start due to "recent hardware or software" changes. No options worked on that screen so I enterred safe mode and am now using system restore to revert back to a point prior to the sp3 install. Hopefully, that will be good.

Shucks, I don't need sp3 as the machine is basically retired to perform one specific audio function, but I would like to have had it all up to date for posterity.

I checked Microsoft sites and I met all the prerequisites and was previously all up to date prior to the HD dying.

Any ideas how to make this work? I saved the download rather than running it, does that make a difference?

Thanks
    Before starting another install, download and run Malwarebytes ( www.malwarebytes.org ) Malware could prevent SP3 from installing

Microsoft has a troubleshooting guide for SP3 installs here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

You might want to try disabling any av software and firewalls and then install it in Safe Mode.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    It's hard to imagine a virus or malware since I just did a completely new install (sp2), then installed my network card driver and then downloaded my Norton and Cakewalk (Pyro) products. Other than attempting updates, that's it, this is no longer a machine for the internet or anything else.

I will look at the troubleshooting guide in more detail as there are some new things there, thanks!

This has never happened to me before: the installation went fine, said it finished successfully and must now restartt and then...pc will not start with a big long dialogue page starting with "we apologize, but..." There all options failed (start as normal, etc) except for safe mode followed by system restore...

But I guess that's why life is exciting