Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm new and need help with Windows Update

I have Windows Vista 64 Bit Operating System, my Windows Update hasnt been working or responding, I've ran the Microsoft Mr. Fix It, but that didnt seem to help, what else can i do to ensure i am getting the updates i need. I cant even manually update through the Windows Update because it dosnt respond all the time. Any help and suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thank You, Crissy

Thanks
    Crissy, Welcome to the Lounge. I moved your post to the Vista forum as it seemed more appropriate.

I would try to open an Elevated Command Prompt (search for command, right click CMD.exe and choose Run As Administrator - If you do not have this in your right click context menu, How To Geek shows how to add it.) then type: sfc /scannow

This might help resolve some system file errors.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Crissy (2013-01-26)

Thanks
    Download and run Malwarebytes ( www.mawarebytes.org ) to check for malware.

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Crissy (2013-01-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Im running the sfc/scannow, it came back that "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are inculded in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log And when i search for this i cant find it, it brought up notepad and said access denied?

also had an update for java that wont complete, the first time i tried it said i had a corrupt file C:\Users\Rollins\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\jre1.1. 0_11\java_sp.dll
    I've searched for this and can not find this file location, so i thought that i would just uninstall and reinstall so i went to programs to uninstall java (java 7 update 9) and it wont uninstall.

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciate it, sorry for the delay in my reply. Crissy

New Lounger
    Thanks

running malwarebytes

im also running malwarebytes, now am i suppose to run it with my mcafees disabled and my firewall off? or is that to just install it? And why would i wont no protection while downloading and installing if i am suppose to?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You don't need to disable anything, to run Malwarebytes.
    You may well need to perform a non destructive reinstall to repair the issues with your OS.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Crissy (2013-01-26)

Thanks
    Crissy, your system has some major issues. If the automatic repair cannot fix your problems then either a repair install or complete reinstall might be in order.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    malwarebytes have not found anything, so can you lead me in the right direction on how to do a repair install, or a complete reinstall, what does that require doing? I have back up discs but they are 4 years old when i bought my computer, but unfortantley they are buried in my storage unit somewhere, the main thing on my computer is pictures and music. Is it something simple i can do myself, or should i take it somewhere professionally?

Administrator
    Thanks
    A repair install requires a DVD with your Windows version. Do you have one?

I have never tried a Vista repair install, but according to Fred Langa, the process is much similar to the one for Windows 7, so I think you can probably use the description for 7 as a guide:

http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-...dows-versions/

It's not really hard to get it going, if you do have the DVD. I would advise a backup, at least of the info you deem more important. A repair install, if you can do it, is a lossless process - you lose neither your documents nor your programs, but it is always advisable to backup, as a routine precautionary measure.

Thanks
    Just an additional caveat, the DVD not only has to match your version (Home Premium, Ultimate, etc), it also needs to be at the same service pack. If your DVD is at an older SP level, you have to uninstall service packs to get to the older level. It might be easier to back up your data, do a clean install, then reinstall all your programs. Your call. If you go this route, don't forget to back up your IE favorites and your email. You might want to use Windows Easy Transfer to do this using an external storage device.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Really appreciate all the help! I should have the disc, but its in storage too (recently moved in with family and didnt think i would need it). Ill see about going and digging it out within the next few days, so there's nothing i can do with out that disc, because i have a whole house in my storage unit...lol and im afraid i wont be able to find it. Thanks again!! Crissy

Also, i have an hp, would i still need the disc if it has a recovery manager?
    Last edited by Crissy; 2013-01-26 at 13:40. Reason: add additional info

Thanks
    With significant system files, you really need the disk to fix them. If you can't find your Vista disk and the key, there might be another possibility. The other possibility is to upgrade to a latter version of Windows. Win 7 and Win 8 are both available. For a few more days, Win 8 Pro is available with free Media Center for $40 (Until Jan. 31st) I doubt you could find Win 7 for that price. If you decide to go for Win 8, read through some of the sticky threads in the Win 8 forum for set up advice. (Because of the problems on your system, choose the Install from media you create option, then Custom Install.)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    The HP recovery manager would allow you to perform a clean install, by restoring your computer to the state it was when you bought it. It would preserve nothing you have now, neither files, documents or programs.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Chrissy,

I will, also, make the same recommendation. You are eluding to too many issues or too great a variety to focus on 1, like WU, for example. There are 2 forms of System Recovery from w/in the OS (no need for discs). One keeps your data, the other puts the thing back to "Factory" & does not keep Data... any Data must be extracted & save to be replaced after the OS is live, again. My advice is do a full, Back-to-Factory Recovery.

Oh & a wee note about Java. Always remove your existing version of Java before installing a new update version of Java.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update problems addressed?

Chrissy,

This suggestion is based on my current efforts to rejuvenate a Windows Vista HP, 32 bit, HP notebook. Several days ago, I obtained a license for the
    Reimage Plus software ($59/year) and started my project on a computer which was [and still is] experiencing a number of problems. After running the RP
    software analysis and fix processes, the computer is rebooted; upon restarting, the RP software replaces the errant files with files from their repository prior to appearance of the user account log-on screen step. Upon completion of the startup, the RP software attempts to replace the modified/ deleted Windows Update files with new files from their repository.

In my case, that RP updating process has always failed; thus, I have installed updates manually. My experience with one particular file [Windows update
    KB968930] led me to follow the Win Vista Update Screen error advice [Code 80070020] which I did by performing a Google search and after two days had no success. I called RP's Consumer Support and arranged for a technician to fix my computer.

Yesterday, after the RP technician connected to my computer [remote access]; he taught me the following: Upon rebooting the computer, he entered the
    Programs and Features [Add/Remove file in earlier Windows OS] file of the Control Panel and examined the list of Windows Updates [option linked on left side of screen]. A search for KB968930 [Search Box, top right] showed that particular update was already present. He simply uninstalled the existing version, then reinstalled the newly downloaded version obtained via Windows Update. Problem solved! Or, so I thought.

Upon rerunning a system file check [/scannow] in the Command Screen, the found errors were indicated to have been repaired; however, after restarting, the system file check was run again and indicated that the errors were again indicated to have been repaired. It was obvious that something was amiss. I
    decided to uninstall [Revo Uninstaller Pro] Kingsoft Office; then jv16 Power Tools was used for cleaning; the Registry File cleaner module found many Kingsoft-related fragments which were deleted. Upon running the RP software for about the 15th time, a new set of problems occurred as, upon rebooting, around
    85 Windows Updates could not be installed - a problem which I proceeded to follow up on. The Windows Update screen indicate the error was Code.
    KB80070422; the recommended solution involved Running Services.msc to bring up the screen for service controls. After performing the Microsoft site-
    recommendations, I was able to install all of the updates.

My recent experiences have permitted me to become more familiar with this horrible Windows Vista OS, however, I was greatly amused to learn about the
    techniques mentioned above and thought you and others might also enjoy learning about some the mysteries surrounding this Windows Vista OS. I plan to update with Windows 8 in the next month or so; hopefully, a service pack 1 for that OS will not be too long in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast