3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Max # Files in a Dir

Hi Folks,

With Windows NT, is there an upper limit to the number of files you can have in a single directory? If so, what is the limit?

Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Max # Files in a Dir

In theory, no, there really isn't a limit, other than what the file system supports.

In reality I recall a nasty bug with NT 4 where a large number of files in the root of your system partition would cause you undue amounts of grief. The key there is if you create and delete them consistently. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBB/tip0600/rh0652.htm>JSI</A> has a write up on this issue.

Outside of that, I would say fire away, but remember one thing that you may have an issue with: if there are a large number of files in a directory and you try to view the contents of that directory, the system will take a good, long time to display it onscreen.

Cheers,
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Mark.

I am working on an app that might have to deal with about 22,000 files, and I was wondering if I would have to deal with multiple directories (if perchance one directory couldn't hold 22,000 files).

Fortunately, the danger of the files going into the root directory is small, and if it does happen, there will be problems before my app even has a chance to try.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, Jim, I can tell you that I have had close to that number of files, and the only problem I had was waiting for the shell to display the listing. For that reason alone you might consider using additional directories. The practical upper limit is more an issue of system resources.....the faster the machine, of course, the less of a problem it becomes.

And you have my sympathy for having to deal with 22,000 of anything.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I needed your sympathy more when I had to deal with 22000 dollars (per year, that is). Fortunately, that was a long time ago.

Thanks for the responses!