Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop Shortcut Creation Problem

Up until yesterday I could place shortcuts on my desktop by simply right clicking a file and choosing send to desktop (create shortcut), as per the standard procedure. When I try to do this now it doesn't work- the shortcut appears in my C:\Users\ Roy\Desktop folder, but not on my actual desktop. (I have desktop view set to show desktop icons). If someone could tell me how to sort this out I would be grateful.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Perhaps you'll find the answer here:

(http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-6e28cf087411)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jim, I tried the methods listed in your link but couldn't solve the problem. Any other ideas? Anyone?
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    There used to be an "all users" desktop, in addition to the user-specific desktop. (I haven't been able to find the "all users" desktop in Windows 7.) If you put stuff in the all users desktop, it would be on everyone's desktop. Perhaps you could put your shortcuts in the all users desktop, if it is available in Windows 7.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    There used to be an "all users" desktop, in addition to the user-specific desktop. (I haven't been able to find the "all users" desktop in Windows 7.) If you put stuff in the all users desktop, it would be on everyone's desktop. Perhaps you could put your shortcuts in the all users desktop, if it is available in Windows 7.
    See the attachment at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post822648. The document is nice list of where various folders are located in Windows 7.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim, there is an All Users Desktop folder in Win 7, and the shortcuts I tried to put on my desktop in recent days appear there, but I can't send them to my actual desktop from there, and in any case I want desktop shortcuts that lead straight to the application concerned, not shortcuts to shortcuts, so I still have the same problem.

JoeP, I saved the attachment referred to but when I open it it's all encoded gobbledygook.Any idea why?

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, the attachment opened normally with Microsoft Word Viewer, I should have realised I needed to use that program. However, that still doesn't solve my desktop shortcut creation problem. Having said that, I found that my C:\Users\Roy\Desktop folder had gone, and instead the shortcuts are in C:\Users\Roy\Users. How that happened is a mystery. Can you please tell me how to recreate my original Desktop folder? Would renaming the C:\Users\Roy\Users folder to C:\Users\Roy\Desktop work?

I hope when the folder location problem is sorted it will also sort the desktop shortcuts problem out.

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I jumped the gun before you have had a chance to answer. I renamed the folder but that didn't solve the problem. Moreover, I tried System Restore but that's not working either. It says it can't restore because the file or directory is unreadable or corrupted. HELP!!

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy, perhaps if you create a new user account, and use it, the new one might work correctly.

As far as putting shortcuts in the All Users desktop, you wouldn't have shortcuts to shortcuts; rather, you would simply put them in the All Users desktop rather than in the Roy desktop. If the Roy profile is corrupted, and the All Users profile is not, then you have a good workaround.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-01-24 at 09:31.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Joe, I jumped the gun before you have had a chance to answer. I renamed the folder but that didn't solve the problem. Moreover, I tried System Restore but that's not working either. It says it can't restore because the file or directory is unreadable or corrupted. HELP!!
    Did you do a chkdsk /r?

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, yes I did and no problems were found. I did a non destructive reinstall of Win 7 Pro, using the Fred Langa method, because of the System Restore and other problems I had recently, and that worked to solve all my problems except one relating to an Asus missing file (dealt with in a separate thread) and the desktop shortcut creation problem. Regarding the latter, and post #9, my user profile is not corrupted and I don't wish to create a new user account. (Thanks anyway for the suggestion Jim).

Any other help regarding the desktop shortcut creation problem would be appreciated.

Roy Whitethread

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you regularly using any registry cleaners or computer cleanup utilities that might be responsible for this continuous stream of little problems your systems develop? Maybe you have a "dirty" power supply to your residence and would benefit from UPS. I am just trying to think of underlying conditions for which everything might be common rather than each problem specifically.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N. downtown- no I am not using any such utilities. I run CCleaner regularly, but very rarely use it's registry cleaner. Our power supply is fine and I have a UPS.

I have now started creating desktop shortcuts by right clicking the desktop, selecting New>Shortcut and then browsing for the relevant file. This works, but if anyone can tell me how to do it the normal way (right click the file and select send to desktop (create shortcut) I would be grateful.
    Last edited by royw; 2013-01-25 at 13:14.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    I have now started creating desktop shortcuts by right clicking the desktop, selecting New>Shortcut and then browsing for the relevant file. This works, but if anyone can tell me how to do it the normal way (right click the file and select send to desktop (create shortcut) I would be grateful.
    I have always done it the way you are now doing it.

Re: your previous posts: You may have caused a problem when you renamed the desktop folder, because it is a system folder. An easy way to fix it would be to create a new user account, and start using the new user account, because when you create the new account, the system would generate a whole new set of your system folders.

Thanks
    You can also close all windows, click on start > all programs, > move to the program you want a shortcut and right drag to the desktop. Release and you should get a "create shortcut here" prompt. You can also right drag files from a Windows explorer window to the desktop to create shortcuts in the same manner.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast