Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Security alert: Remove Java from your browsers

TOP STORY

Security alert: Remove Java from your browsers

By Woody Leonhard

With nearly every news outlet — along with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security — calling for its removal from PCs, who wouldn't worry about running Java on their computer?

Fortunately, there are steps every Windows user can take to lessen the chances of being bitten by a Java exploit.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/security-alert-remove-java-from-your-browsers/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

Venu (2013-01-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks

unneccesarily complicated suggestions and there is control panel hitch.....

java.jpg

The suggestions in the article are unneccesarily complicated - all the many methods to disable Java in various browsers- and there is a hitch regarding the version of the control panel ....

Disable Java in ALL browsers - even Oracle tells you how!

http://java.com/en/download/help/disable_browser.xml

If you have a website - like a bank etc. - that needs Java in your browser you can very easily switch back and forth by enabling and disabling Java in your browser(s) using the control panel applet. Just remember to disable again if you have enabled it!

Note: The ability to use this method (the control panel) requires that the latest version of Java (Java 7 Update 11 ) is installed - but there is a hitch. I have seen computers with Java 7 Update 11 which don't have this new version of the control panel. To ensure that you have this new version of the control panel, you can just remove Java from the computer and then reinstall it from the Java website - this takes only minutes.

Note: the control panel applet, as shown above, has a check box "Enable Java content in the browser" - this must be Deselected (ie remove the check) . This will disable the Java plug-in in all browsers.

Note: Oracle's suggestion now (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/to...2-1896849.html) is to "change to the default Java Security Level setting from "Medium" to "High". With the "High" setting, the user is always prompted before any unsigned Java applet or Java Web Start application is run." Why not just disable it altogether and then enable it the few times you might need it?
    Last edited by Copenhagenmail; 2013-01-23 at 23:25.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copenhagenmail For This Useful Post:

DiggerP (2013-01-24),Sukki007 (2013-01-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, copenhagenmail. I came here to pose the question that you answered: I've downloaded the new build several times, but still have the old format in Control Panel. I will take your suggestion to remove, then download again.

Thanks
    If you don't need Java, removal with JavaRA will completely get rid of all versions of Java.
    -- Bob Primak --

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

Sukki007 (2013-01-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    why the deactivation - should we not rather uninstall for once and all times?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Woody, on my pc's it is the other way around: Firefox asks every time permission to start Java, and Chrome uses Java without any question!! (both updates to the last version).

Thanks
    My Chrome in Windows 7 and Windows 8 asks for permission to run or update any plugin, Java included. Firefox under Windows XP also asks, but I think it may be an Extension which is doing the asking (NoScript or Ghostery).
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skemmerling View Post
    why the deactivation - should we not rather uninstall for once and all times?
    It is a question of whether you need to use Java on a website that requires Java.

In Denmark, all contact with banks and the government and other institutions uses a "NEMID" Java logon to verify your identity and the throw away one time code you need to use each time you login.

Other countries or businesses have similar techniques.

But, if you don't ever use this sort of thing or other Java based functions, you do not need Java on your computer. Woody Leonhard explains this and the difference between Java and the much more common Java Script in his article.

Remember that it is only the webbrowser part of Java which is being disabled. Whatever else you might have on your computer that runs using Java is not affected by this fix.
    Last edited by Copenhagenmail; 2013-01-24 at 10:36.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Java Control Panel

I have the version of Java you indicated. In my Java Control Panel, the only thing listed under security tab is certificates. There is nothing else under that tab. How about that?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, very helpful. I had already disabled it in Firefox but it's done in all of them now. The Java CP did show up in my Windows CP, I had to search for it.

Bob

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same problem as brooksro, the Java Control Panel Security tab does not allow disabling Java in browsers, only has a box for security certificates.

Are you saying I need to uninstall and re-install Java to get the "new" control panel? Just want to make sure I am clear on this.

Thanks!
    Emily

Lounger
    Thanks
    Really now, it's quite simple to disable Java in IE, is it not?

Just go to Manage Add-Ons (via the gear in the top-right of the window in IE9, or the Tools menu in IE8), and disable anything that looks like Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper, Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper, or that otherwise is listed as coming from Oracle or Sun. Does that not get the job done?

The equivalent can be done with the add-ons in Firefox and Chrome.

EDIT: Oh wait, apparently the SSV Helper does nothing. Phooey.

Well, guess I might as well uninstall Java and not bother with it again until I actually need it.

Quote Originally Posted by emilys7 View Post
    I have the same problem as brooksro, the Java Control Panel Security tab does not allow disabling Java in browsers, only has a box for security certificates.
    If I'm not mistaken, you're looking at the control panel for Java 6. I think you should just uninstall Java 6 from the appropriate control panel (since Java 6 is probably even less secure than the current version of Java 7, and probably just as useless).
    Last edited by kehander; 2013-01-24 at 08:44.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Disabling JRE 1.7 much simpler in Windows 8 IE 10 I think

The CERT site information about Internet Explorer appears out of date since the Microsoft KB2751647 article does not apply to Windows 8 Internet Explorer 10.

Disabling Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.7 in Windows 8 Internet Explorer 10 appears much simpler, at least according to the controls in IE10. To wit:

(Assuming JRE 7u11 is installed) go to Internet Options - Programs - Manage add-ons - Toolbars and Extensions - show All add-ons. Find Oracle America, Inc. Java Plug-in 10.11.2 (the latest, it would appear).

Click Disable. That's it!

Am I missing something here?

Harry

DisableJREinIE10a.PNG
    Last edited by hjacobson; 2013-01-24 at 11:47.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You mention lots of web browsers but not Opera???

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've heard that the problems are with Java version 7, perhaps the later updates 10 and 11.

I am running version 6, update 30 (something on my PC "fails to download" the latest update when I try to update Java either manually or automatically from the Administrator login).

I do not seem to have had any problems on any websites on IE8 under Windows 7.

So my questions are:
    - do I need to worry about the problems alluded to?
    - anyone know about the "fail to download" issue? I've spoken to Tech Support for my PC. I think the problem was somehow circumvented to get to Ver 6, Upd 30 but I don't recall what we did. However, every update since then has again "failed to download." I'm not sure I've missed anything so I haven't pursued it.

Thks.

Fred

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast