Star Lounger
    Thanks

SpinRite won't run on win7-64

Hello - all,
    Here's one for the windows geeks!!! I' ve had grc.com steve gibson's spinrite maintenance utility for years.
    It runs fine on my xp machines even win8. But on my Dell xps8100 , it refuses to run. Just by passes the cd and on to windows.
    Grc. tech support tells me perhaps, I need to change in the bios settings to reflect (( compatibility )) mode? I have no idea what that should look like?? I don't see anything in the bios set up an option to use that mode.

I've made many iso's for linux and they all work fine. My bios is set to boot from the cd if necessary.
    Grc. tells me it shouldn't matter that my original CD was made on my xp machine..I've made several copies on my win7 and it still refuses to recognize the cd?
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    John in Dallas

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Chances are that SpinRite can't access the hard drive because the BIOS is set to ACPI mode. Is there an option in your BIOS to change the hard drive mode to IDE, which is also called 'compatibility mode' by some manufacturers?

Thanks
    SpinRite is in serious need of an version update by GRC's Steve Gibson.

Yes, if you wish to run spinrite on a new system with AHCI mode, you will have to boot to BIOS and change the controller to IDE mode before
    spinrite will work. Even doing that may potentially cause problems, as I have recently discovered myself.
    You will also need to ensure that spinrite is not run on a solid state drive. It might just kill it.

Remember to boot back to BIOS once spinrite is done and change the drive controllers mode back to AHCI.

PS
    My original SpinRite ISO boot thumb drive was made in the era of Windows XP and it works just fine on W8 too. Heed the above.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-01-24 at 00:09.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    The problem must be some local phenomenon, because I just ran it on my own Windows 7 Home Premium, 1TB Samsung, SATA II, hard drive with narry a problem.

I guess I'd have to check on those BIOS settings.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks

How to run SpinRite V6 on Window 8.1?

Hi,

I wanted to run SpinRite V6 on Window 8.1 (lenovo i5). Despite changing the startup from CD-ROM, it doesn't see SpinRite and reverts to the normal startup. How did you, or anyone for that matter managed to run SpinRite from Window 8 (8.1)?
    This would be very useful as the Window 8 system is here to stay.

I would greatly appreciate any enlightenment on this.

Thanks

animall

Quote Originally Posted by lonestarone View Post
    Hello - all,
    Here's one for the windows geeks!!! I' ve had grc.com steve gibson's spinrite maintenance utility for years.
    It runs fine on my xp machines even win8
    . But on my Dell xps8100 , it refuses to run. Just by passes the cd and on to windows.
    Grc. tech support tells me perhaps, I need to change in the bios settings to reflect (( compatibility )) mode? I have no idea what that should look like?? I don't see anything in the bios set up an option to use that mode.

I've made many iso's for linux and they all work fine. My bios is set to boot from the cd if necessary.
    Grc. tells me it shouldn't matter that my original CD was made on my xp machine..I've made several copies on my win7 and it still refuses to recognize the cd?
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    John in Dallas

Thanks
    In Windows 8 or 8.1 Fast Startup must be turned off.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I have Windows 8.1 on my laptop which I've converted to UEFI/GPT. Fast Start is disabled. To boot SpinRite, I go into Boot options and select Legacy CD/DVD Drive. I recently used it to check a disk in an eSATA drive dock plugged into an eSATA port on the laptop. It boots and works fine. It worked the same way in Windows 8.

On a BIOS motherboard, one must get out of AHCI and use 'Legacy', 'IDE', 'ATA', or something similar.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows