2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing nameservers at GoDaddy?

I'm sure this is not the correct forum for this question, but I don't know where else to put it. Please move this to whatever forum is most appropriate.

I have been using GoDaddy as a domain name provider. My website was hosted at another company, and the nameservers were at the other company. Now we have redesigned our website at Weebly, and I want to change GoDaddy so that it points to Weebly instead of my previous company. I found directions about how to make that change but these directions say to go to the DNS Manager at GoDaddy to make that change. But when I go there, there is a message that says: DNS Manager: not hosted here. Apparently, I have to do something else. My goal is to keep the GoDaddy domain registration but get rid of the previous hosting company. In addition, I don't do anything with domains very often and so I am hazy about what all this means.

Does anybody have any instructions or advice for how to do whatever I have to do to make GoDaddy point to Weebly instead of where it's pointing now? Or where is a better place to ask this question?

I do intend to ask GoDaddy about this if nobody knows, but I was hoping for a simple explanation.

Thanks for any assistance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

ajeetbook (2013-02-08)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib, for your suggestion. I did in fact find the page you mentioned. The page lists four options for changing the nameservers, but none of them seem to fit my situation. Specifically, I think that the Domain Name IS registered with GoDaddy, but the nameservers themselves are elsewhere. I don't think that situation fits any of the four options listed. I'm at the limit of my understanding of this process, so I could be wrong about any of this, but that's what I think at the moment. So I think the question is: If my Domain Name IS registered at GoDaddy, but the nameservers are located elsewhere (where my website is currently hosted), then how do I change the nameservers? And my goal is actually to point to my website at Weebly, so I'm not really sure why the nameservers matter at all. In any event, any further help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    The nameservers can be elsewhere, but the records about the nameservers for the domain are with the domain registrar, which is really what matters. So you need to change the records for the nameservers on GoDaddy, not elsewhere.

Nameservers matter because it's the nameservers that "resolve" the IP for the domain, when someone tries to access it. When that happens a DNS request is made and eventually the nameservers are queried to determine the actual IP that needs to be used for the domain access.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Set the nameservers to godaddy.
    At godaddy set the DNS records for your web site to point to the address at weebly. e.g. www.mysite.com = 143.23.4.156.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Call GoDaddy support if you need to. They are very helpful.

It may take up to 24 hours for the change to fully implement.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The link you were given by ruirib will help; do NOT, as was suggested by another poster, "set the nameservers to godaddy." Get the name servers you need from Weebly, log on to your account at GoDaddy, go to Manage Domains and choose the domain you want to manage. Click "set nameservers" and put in the new nameservers (you'll probably see the old ones here). (Note that this isn't DNS Manager.) That should do it; it may take a day or so for everything to propogate perfectly, but this is easy and effective.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    THanks to everybody who responded. I neglected to report that I did in fact change the nameservers to GoDaddy, and then the resulting screen matched the instructions that Weebly had provided. After following the Weebly instructions, and waiting a few hours, the Weebly site is now working correctly. THanks again.