New Lounger
    Thanks

Trying to copy a file from one external disk to another you need permission

I have two external drives. One serves as backup for the other. The backup died and after WD replaced it for me I tried to copy the primary to the new disk. Out of several thousand files on the primary, Win7 absolutely refuses to copy exactly one to the new disk. First I am told I must provide administrator permission to copy it. I then click continue where I am told that I must have permission form myself to copy it. This is driving me nuts!!!!! I have tried taking ownership of the folders, the file and tried every other trick I could think of. Why is this so hard and why only the one file? I have tried copying it to the desktop with the same failures. Can anyone help? PLEASE!!! My sanity is in question

Thanks,

Bob Helm

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    More info. I discovered that I did not need the one file so I deleted it from the primary. Win7 did not ask me for permission to do this just dumped it in the recycle bin which I promptly emptied. I have now discovered that I also have a folder on the primary that will not copy. I get the same error messages. I have done more research and have now executed the takeown /f <foldername> /r /d y and icacls <foldername> /grant administrators:F /T commands in an administrative command prompt. Both commands were executed on every folder on both drives just for good measure. Both of the commands are recursive so ownership and rights should have propagated down the tree. In theory at least I my ID owns all folders and files on both drives and the administrators group, of which I am a member, has full rights to all of them. Any more thoughts?
    Last edited by BobtheGrey; 2013-01-23 at 23:18.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    One other possibility might have been the formatting of the new drive. I recently came across a problem where some files were not being copied from a NTFS drive to a set of rotating FAT32 volumes as part of an overnight backup. The folder that seemed to cause the issue had a huge number of small data files and locked up the backup every time it reached that point.

I suspect it was caused by the number of files in the directory having reached the FAT32 directory size limit. What made it a bit confusing at first was the error message suggested a permission problem on the files themselves. Converting the target volumes to NTFS resolved the issue in each case.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the thought but both drives are formatted NTFS. I am sure it is something in Win7s security system. it is just so strange that it is only one folder out of the entire drive. I have gone back again and taken ownership of everything I can think of. The volumes themselves the folder that the contents of will not copy. The folder itself did copy to the new drive just not the subfolders and files. I also took ownership of a couple of the files and tried to copy them with drag and drop, no joy there either. I am using Richcopy from MS to do this and is says that access is denied on the files. I still have the XP laptop I was using before moving to a new one and Win7 I may get that out and hook the drives up to it and get the copy done and then see what Win7 has to say about it. Why does it have to be so hard????