4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do I get rid of this prompt?

I recently tried using Nero PhotoShow Express, but was not particularly impressed with it, and exited the program.
    Now, every time I insert a CD that has photos on it, I get a window with the following dialog on it"

"Nero PhotoShow Express has detected new pictures on [disk name here]. Would you like to load them into PhotoShow now?"

The option buttons are Yes or No.

How can I stop this behavior (PhotoShow's, not mine). I can't find any settings or .ini file that directs PhotoShow to look or prompt for inputs.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing you might try is to right click on the optical drive you are using and choose properties and then click on the AutoPlay and change the Action for whatever type of media is present on the CD.
    If this is a separate process, then there is probably a little PhotoShow stub in the tray of the taskbar (though it may not be visible). For instance when I installed Corel Paint Shop Pro, it put a little Photo Downloader dectector stub in the tray in case a drive or CD or camera were ever attached. The way I would deal with that is go to Start-Run... and type in Msconfig and OK it. Then click on the startup tab and look for an entry that has some mention of PhotoShow in item list and untic the checkbox next to that item. That will get rid of that type of prompt but if it comes back, then the program is checking and adding that entry back in on a boot or restart so you would have to find the setting somewhere in Photoshow and disable it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, F.U.N.
    I actually took both of your suggestions. For the CD Autoplay settings, I set all to "Take no action".
    Under MSCONFIG/Startup, I found an item called MSSYSMGR.exe in the Ahead folder (Nero top folder), and disabled it.
    I don't know for sure which steps solved the problem (I suspect the changes to MSCONFIG), but it IS solved.
    Thank you.
    By the way, once a startup item in MSCONFIG is unchecked, how do you actually remove the item (i.e., stop it from even showing up in MSCONFIG)?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    In several (5) registry locations and possibly in two start up folders; 6. C:\Windows\AllUsers\StartMenu\ Programs\Startup

7. C:\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\ Startup

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You can use a tool such as WhatInStartup or AutoRuns to manage startup items. Of the two, WhatInStartup is much simpler to use. Autoruns presents much more information. If you use Autoruns you should be interested in the "Logon" tab.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. I took your suggestion and tried WhatInStartup, but it didn't show MSSYSMGR.exe (I guess because I had unchecked it in MSCONFIG). I think I'll just leave it unchecked, but if it ever becomes active again, I'll zap it with WhatInStartup.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The tools I mentioned may not disable programs in the same manner as MSCONFIG and as a result won't recognize that MSCONFIG has disabled an entry. If the entry were re-enabled then WhatInStartup would see it.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's what I suspected. Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Just curious. Maybe I missed something here, but did you go to Add/Remove Programs and try to uninstall Nero?

I would have gone there first, to see if it was listed as an installed program.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim, no I did not. It wasn't my intent to uninstall Nero. I simply wanted to stop getting prompts from Nero PhotoShow Express asking if I wanted to import photos every time I inserted a CD with pictures on it. This behavior only started after the first time I opened PhotoShow express. After many years of using Nero (I have version 6), I had never tried PhotoShow until now.