New Lounger
    Thanks

iTunes in Windows 8

I recently bought a new computer with Windows 8 (home premium I think).

There are various things that simply don't seem to work on this computer that I used a lot on the old one. One of these is iTunes. I subscribe to various podcasts, as well as having my music library in it - I sync my iPod...

According to the Apple forums the latest version of iTunes does work in Windows 8. Whenever I try to install it, however, a message pops up "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher".

Is it possible to run iTunes on Windows 8?
    Do I need to upgrade to the Pro version?
    Is there a way to tell it to go ahead and install anyway?

TIA,

Peter English.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I am reading a lot about iTunes working on Win 8 Pro, and almost nothing about Win 8 Standard (not called home premium any more). The Win 8 Pro Pack Upgrade is presently $39.99 which also includes Media Center for free. This price and Media Center are only good until Jan. 31st, so hurry if you decide to do this. Starting Feb. 1st this jumps drastically, as much as $199.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Are you downloading the 64 bit version of Itunes? Since your computer is new I assume its 64 bit. The 64 bit download is here:
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Make sure it says "iTunes for Windows (64-bit)"

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I've upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, and will try this now...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope. It still doesn't work - same message, despite now running Windows 8 Pro.

Thanks
    Confirmed
    iTunes installs and runs on my Windows 8, 64 bit Pro addition.
    Ensure you are logged on as the administrator.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    You have verified the "bitness" of the installation and the download, correct? You might check with the supplier you bought the PC from and explain your problem. They may have some clues as well. Since I do not use iTunes, I have exhausted all my suggestions, sorry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for all of the helpful tips. I have now succeeded in getting iTunes up and running. In case anybody else has similar problems, this is what I did (although how much of it made a difference I'm not certain).

The new Windows 8 laptop didn't seem to like downloading the installation file. It did so more slowly than an older, slower Windows 7 laptop on the same wifi connection; and when I'd done so it wouldn't run. There appear to be various sources of the installation software - the 64 bit installation file on the UK version seems to be an older, lower-numbered one than the one on the US web site. I'm afraid I didn't make a note of the file number.

In the end, I got it to work by downloading this file on the older laptop, and then copying it across the home network onto the Windows 8 one. By this time I'd upgraded to Windows 8 Pro, and was logged in as an administrator.

Having installed iTunes I then copied the contents of the Music\iTunes\ folder from the old laptop to the new one, and ran the "search for music files" option in iTunes. All the podcasts were convered to "unplayed", but apart from that it all worked - as far as I can tell so far.

I then tried to log in as me, and connect to the store - to check that I could. I started to have more problems. I didn't get an error message, but the connection never completed. A reboot didn't help. Looking at the Apple support forums I found links to their "can't connect to the iTunes store" pages http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1368 .

I added the sites listed at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3297 as safe sites in internet explorer.

I tried disabling the firewall - no difference.#

I checked Norton - there seemed to be an upgrade for Norton 360, which I downloaded and may have run (I wasn't clear if it actually ran or not). Another page on the Norton forums (not http://community.norton.com/t5/Norto...ht/true#M34804 but a similar one - suggested running a full Norton scan. That was odd. Norton didn't seem to be able to complete the first stage, updating its virus libraries, and eventually said it had no internet connection - pretty much the same thing that iTunes was claiming. Chrome and IE, however, could connect to pages. All very odd.

So I re-booted the computer - and when it had restarted, I could connect to iTunes.

In retrospect I wonder if simply rebooting after installing iTunes would have done the trick.