Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Internal or External Hard Drive for Backup

I'd like some Loungers' input on whether it's better to use a secondary internal drive for backup or an external one? Just saw a great deal on a WD internal 1 TB drive ($70) which is what prompted my question.

I back up in the cloud via Mozy every day, save images on an external drive and save some really key files on DVD or CD-R as well.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Linda

Thanks
    I use an Ext. HD because it can be stored away from the PC. Ask bbearren about what fires can do to the internal HDs. If your Image is on a separate HD in the same PC, it is stored in the same enclosure and will be affected by the same internal and external problems as the OS drive.

I suppose for speed of restoration, you could keep a copy on both a separate Int. HD and an Ext. HD. The internal will restore faster, but then again my Images restore in about 10 minutes. Understand that my Images do not include my data. I have the data on a separate partition to isolate it from the OS partition. I also back up the data separately as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Ted. That's kind of what I was thinking, too. Besides, opening the computer to replace the original hard drive (a task accomplished recently with LOTS of Lounge help!!) was somewhat scary; attaching an external drive via USB, totally relaxing!

As an addendum, I've been keeping a hard drive free for only images. Is that necessary or can I use it for data back up as well?

Addendum #2: how do you keep your data separate from your images? Sounds as if it involves creating partitions, something I've never done. My image restore when I replaced the drive took almost 2 hours. Of course, I didn't mind when I discovered that, yes, it really did work and my computer and everything on it were back completely! Wow!

Linda

Thanks
    Just remember that data backup is much more critical than system backup. You can always recover the system with and install disk or recovery partition but if you don't have a data backup, you're dead. Separating data and system files is a convenience item that allows system backup/restore to be done quicker.

I keep both on one partition that I image weekly. It takes a little longer than simply a system image backup but then I have data and system backed up in one operation. With Acronis, I can do the backup while I continue to use the PC. Use whichever system you choose (one system and data partition or separate data and system partitions) but be sure your data backups are frequent.

Jerry

Thanks
    Addendum 1: I store Images for 4 separate PCs and data from 2 of those PCs on the same Ext. HD

Addendum 2: Yes it does involve partitioning, or in your case a separate HD already in your system. Use the approved method to move your data folders to a separate HD disk. The drive has to be formatted and set to logical. All data folders can be moved to a separate location (data, pictures, music, favorites, etc, including WLM folder)

Use this screen shot for the mail folder:

MailStoreFolder.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I use both internal and external drives for storage and backup. I will also burn DVD disks as well.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the input! Here's my plan going forward:

a. For now, I think I'll stick with system and data on the one new internal drive. Partitioning looks a bit beyond my comfort level, now I've checked Ted's screenshot!

b. Do more frequent image backups - try for weekly - to supplement data cloud storage. They're easy to do with Macrium Reflect.

c. Will use new external drive for data backups as well as images.

d. Like Clint, I'll use DVDs as extra peace of mind for critical data.

I appreciate learning what other do. The main thing is, as Ted (Medico) reminds us: BACKUP - and frequently!

Linda

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just in case. .

I backup to an Ext hard drive in the event of hurricane, sinkhole, fire, etc. I can "hopefully" grab the Ext HD and haul butt. Plus, it's safer to have a backup on a drive not connected to the computer, and I unplug the power to my Ext HD when I'm done "just in case" We get a biblical amounts lightning here, and it's good practice to disconnect equipment you don't need from mains (outlet)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Good tips, Gomek. I like your idea of unplugging items not in use and for the same "living in Florida" reason! In the midst of bad storms, I even unplug the UPS!!

Linda

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IreneLinda For This Useful Post:

Gomek (2013-02-07)

Thanks
    I do imaging (EaseUS Todo Backup) about once a month to an external hard drive; I do continual differential backups (Memeo) to the same external hard drive. If I have to leave, I can take the external hard drive with me. Also, I have the same stuff on two separate drives: internal and external. If one drive fails, everything will still be on the other drive.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    That sounds like exactly my system, although with different programs. I also use Mozy Home for cloud backup and, to be honest, probably rely on it for differential backups more than on the external drive. Maybe I should re-establish backups on the external drive as well as it has lots of space and I like having everything "in a box" to take with me if necessary. Good thought!

All I do know now - and am grateful for - is that images do work!! Thank heaven.

Linda

Thanks
    I also use an online backup for added security, it's just one more means of keeping something I don't want to loose safe.
    Online forms of backup will do just fine as long as the service your using provides some form of security in the way of file encryption.
    But the best way to backup will be in multiple forms and means.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I create backups on a secondary internal HDD.
    I also use TeraCopy to ensure perfect duplicates are created on an external HDD which is connected as required.

A week ago a Linux Boot Crash / Windows Restart crash converted my GPT style internal HDD into one with an MBR Disk signature,
    and as a result Windows now sees the entire contents as either RAW or Free Space or Unallocated, destroying my backups and my downloaded files.

Had my external drive been plugged in I would have faced disaster.

Because it was not plugged in I still have duplicate backups,
    and my browser remembers my download history so I can go get them again.

N.B.
    I am also using a Data Recovery tool on that Disk and it is doing a very good job,
    however my partition image backups are about 6.5 GB in size and the more recent ones were probably fragmented.
    Data Recovery is more difficult if the file was fragmented before loss,
    and perhaps 60% of the more recent files are now corrupted - possibly because the fragments are connected out of sequence.
    The end result is that they have the same number of bytes as the external duplicates - but they are invalid.

Data Recovery is good - But duplicate and physically separate backups are better.
    Last edited by alan.b; 2013-02-07 at 07:54.

Thanks
    I've used drive imaging for backup many years, now. When drives were smaller, I backed up to DVD's, and transitioned to external drives as drive sizes got north of 500GB. I'm now using a 3TB external that can be connected either though USB or ethernet, and I'm connecting through ethernet. I use it to backup both my desktop and laptop. In addition, I have an internal 1TB drive in my desktop for backup, and I still backup critical data (such as financial) to DVD in addition to it being included in my drive imaging.

I also have multiple copies scattered between desktop and laptop of important data, and stuff that I could re-download, but would rather not go to the trouble of hunting it down. I'm with CLiNT on the idea of using a combination of backup solutions. Sort of belt-and-suspenders with raincoat-and-umbrella. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I've also dual booted for many years, and there are a number of advantages, not the least of which is the ability to backup one OS while working in the other. Image for Windows allows continued use of the PC while a backup is being written (which I do from time to time, and which other good imaging software can do as well), but creating an image outside the OS environment has always been my comfort zone.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alan.b View Post
    Data Recovery is more difficult if the file was fragmented before loss,
    and perhaps 60% of the more recent files are now corrupted - possibly because the fragments are connected out of sequence.
    The end result is that they have the same number of bytes as the external duplicates - but they are invalid.
    That is one of the justifications for keeping drives/partitions defragmented, which is often overlooked. I've used recovery software a number of times over the years for clients, and success is higher with less fragmentation.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast