New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot log on past Safe Mode

I've run into a problem with my laptop - Toshiba Satellite Pro A300, running Windows XP Pro SP3.
    I used msconfig to restrict how much software that starts up on StartUp.
    Unfortunately, I also made a mistake on the Boot tab, thinking that by clicking on Safe Mode I was enabling it, rather than enforcing it.
    So when I next booted up it came up only in Safe Mode. Not a problem, I thought...
    But my usual username and password combination is not being accepted. I cannot log on!

I bought the laptop from my last workplace as I left, so I don't know what the admin settings are, though my own user profile has admin privileges.
    For the same reason, I do not have a Windows installation CD.
    I imagine that if I could use msconfig.exe again I could undo what I'd done, but I have no way of accessing it as I cannot get past logon.
    I can however access boot options and choose CD or USB or HDD, and access the BIOS settings.

I have backups, but cannot apply them without logging on to Windows. Can anyone help?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The only thing that comes to mind is a system restore but since your log on seems corrupt or not functional for whatever reason, it would have to be done by boot disc, specifically the UBCD4Win utility disc which has a system restore utility. Problem with that idea is you need a XP install disc to make the UBCD4Win disc, so you'd have to find/borrow/beg an XP install disc to try that possible solution.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Pool Lounger,

Try this How-to-Geek article on resetting your passwords.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To F.U.N. downtown: thanks, but as I pointed out, I have no XP CD. I shall ask my friends...

To RetiredGeek: Interesting link; thanks for that.
    It points out "Note that the installation will create the ISO/CD from your Windows XP CD", so once I've got one, I'll see how it goes.
    >\Pool Lounger\

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Pool Lounger,

Sorry about that I thought I had the right tool that I had used before but its been a while.
    This TechRepublic link should help Tool #2 is the one I have successfully used before.
    Of course you'll need to download and burn the CD on another computer.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorted!

Hi, RetiredGeek.
    Thanks for your link and suggesting #2. It took me to http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html, offering Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD. I tried the USB version without success, but the CD version worked fine.
    It's the fourth tool I've tried and it worked fine for removing a password and allowing me in, although I found another tool, Ophcrack, [http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/] useful for telling me what the Administrator password was.

In case anyone else does the same, I'd warn against changing msconfig's settings for booting to Safe boot in the BOOT tab.
    I find that I'd also changed the setting on the GENERAL tab from Normal startup to Selective startup.
    Both those are now restored, and I've reinstated the password I deleted.

Thanks again for your help.
    >/Pool Lounger/