New Lounger
    Thanks

IE9, IE10 freezes, back to IE8 and works fine

I have several users and myself as one. IE9 freezes up after a few minutes. Many times it will offer "Recover Webpage" at the bottom. Click on it and after a moment it will recover IE and repost the page. But after a few minutes it is frozen again. On my other users that have this issue, I uninstall IE9, back to 8. They never see the problem again. These are on mostly Windows 7 x64 PC's, some with factory Dell load, some with clean Windows installs. On my PC, going back to IE8 works fine, but this when it upgrades back to IE9, the problem is back. I decided to go ahead and upgrade to IE10 to see if that resolved it. Same issue. I have searched and searched and cannot find a resolution for it. Microsoft's trouble shooting tool says it cannot find any issue.

I have tried all the normal troubleshooting. Reset the browser, remove everything. Launch IE in safe mode not loading anything. The other day, I decided to try another user to determine profile issue. I logged on with a user that had never been on the PC and same issue. then I decided to try booting PC into Safemode with Networking and I could never reproduce the issue.

I certainly welcome ideas.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    then I decided to try booting PC into Safemode with Networking and I could never reproduce the issue.
    are you saying IE 9 works in Safe Mode? If so, try the Clean Boot diagnostic procedure:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

Clean boot did not work

I thought I had already tried the clean boot, I remember the page when searching for help, so I just got done trying it again. As described, I disabled all startup items and all non MS services. Booted the box and still have the same issue in IE. Open a site, usually a news site, leave it for less then 2 minutes, and then you can move the IE window, but cannot scroll or do anything on the page, then after clicking on the page a few times, you get the "Recover WebPage" messge at the bottom. Finally click on it and IE basically crashes and restarts the page. A few moments later and the cycle starts all over.

Thanks
    Something may have corrupted IE 9, and rolling back to IE 8 reinstalled a fresh copy. If it were me I would again try to upgrade to IE 9 and see how it works. IE 9 is more secure than IE 8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done that several tiimes early on. IE9 was messed up, uninstalled back to IE8, IE8 is happy. I have done both scenarios, Let Win Updates re upgrade me to IE9, and it breaks again. Then I have also tried manual install of IE9, with same results. My latest venture and where I am now, is I upgraded to IE10, and it remains broken. I don't even know if I can anylonger uninstall back to IE8, after going all the way to IE10.

Thanks
    It might be time to check system files. Open an Elevated Command Prompt and type: sfc /scannow
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Running sfc /scannow comes back with cannot repair "tcpmon.ini". I have tried replacing the file and finally was successful, and have verified that by size that it is still the same file, since the original was a different size. But IE is still not working, rerunning sfc /scannow produces the same result. I don't know if this could be the issue or not.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried the reset tcp ip as recommended. It did not work.

I have been trying to repair the "tcpmon.ini that resulted from the SFC /SCANNOW. Nothing I have tried has correctly repaired the file.
    I have tried running the SFC from the command prompt at boot, under the repair options booting from the Win7 x64 DVD as shown here.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ompt-boot.html
    It claims to have repaired the file successfully, but when back in the normal running mode, IE is still failing. After 3 to 4o minutes, it will halt then come back with the message at the bottom to "Recover Webpage". It's hosed. Then if you rerun the SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated command prompt it eventually comes back saying the same file could not be repaired. Here is an excert from the output file.

2013-01-28 09:43:00, Info CSI 00000186 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"tcpmon.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Printing-StandardPortMonitor-TCPMonINI, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2013-01-28 09:43:00, Info CSI 00000187 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:202{101}]"Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.Win dowsFoundationDelivery"
    2013-01-28 09:43:00, Info CSI 0000018a [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:20{10}]"tcpmon.ini"; source file in store is also corrupted

Thanks & Still hunting.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I decided to go back to IE8 and make sure everything still worked. I uninstalled IE10 back to 9. Restarted, and tested. IE9 still won't work more than a minute or two. Then freeze up and give message "Recover Webpage". Then uninstalled IE9, restarted and back to IE8. Retested and IE8 works fine. Right now it is staying on IE8 to further test, but so far, no problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i have the identical problem, and have used pc's since 1982. i have reverted back to i.e.8 even though secunia informs me it is at end of life.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i had no add on issue. after deleting adblock i still had the problem. my only solution was to install an earlier version. i tried ver.24 at least 4 times, having no sucess. i still only use your browser, as it's, in my opinion the best one out there. i'm sure the next version will correct the problem. if you google firefox24, you'll see mant users having problems. thank you for your response.

In a message dated 9/24/2013 5:00:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, notifications@support.mozilla.org writes:

Hi raggy,

ComputerWhiz commented on a Firefox question on support.mozilla.org:

Why does Firefox Crash everytime I open multiple tabs?

ComputerWhiz wrote:

@ nn_77 p.s my email bounced back as dewlivery timed out

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update. I found the solution.
    I was upgrading myself to a new PC, and was rebuilding this one in question of IE issues. Clean install, and found the same issue happening. So backed it out to IE8 for the time being. Was working another desktop of the similar model and the same issue again. Can't be this much coincidence, so start digging, thinking is was a common app. I have 4 or 5 desktops afflicted by this issue. But I have one just like them that works fine. Installed this common app on the working desktop and no issues. So started looking at devices deeper. It turned out that all the desktops that have this issue have the same video card. The working one has a different card. The problem turns out the be with the "ATI Radeon HD 3400" series dual headed video card. I went and found the most current driver I could find for it and installed it. No more issues. I have applied this to each machine and all are back to working with any version of IE.
    Hope this helps if anyone has this or similar issues.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Thank you for posting the solution .
    Rui
    -------
    R4