2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

January 2013 .Net updates - problems installing on Vaio laptop with Win 7

Right before one of my kids headed back to college (hundreds of miles away), I was scrambling to put in some medical software that she absolutely needed; and with it came .NET. After the installation I was surprised with at least 8 .NET updates, some listed as security updates. Short story version - all but 2 went in ok, the other 2 were churning away for hours with no apparent progress, and I was able to stop one (and block it for now), and I had to crash the laptop during shutdown running updates just to make the PC ready for the trip back to college.

The good thing - this software won't be used often. But when the computer comes home in March, I'd like to try to fix whatever went wrong, so any troubleshooting tips would be appreciated. One more thing; I even tried a Fixit that is supposed to deal with this; it too did not work, just churned away for hours.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Often the only way to fix .NET, is to uninstall it with the .NET framework cleanup tool, then reinstall the .NET version, apply the updates one at a time.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    .Net updates can take quite a long time. Just don't stop them before they finish.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    That's correct about the updates taking a long time. On some older systems, I've seen an individual patch take 10 - 15 minutes to install. One to five minutes is quite common.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My daughter and her laptop are back home, and a few days ago I was installing the July updates. Really painful. On all of several PCs in the house, every one took at least 2 shots to get everything including the rogue software tool. But her Vaio laptop running Win 7 was again the hardest. It wasn't just the .NET. It was everything, with WU coming up with an error, offering assistance, and pointing to MS help that had nothing on that error. Or scans checking for outstanding updates never completing. Eventually I figured out how to go to Installed Updates and run that FIXIT, though along the way I tried every trick out there to fix, reset, clear out, etc. Even running one update at a time. The FIXIT was the last major thing I tried. Odd thing, while the .NET updates were slow, and one had to be attempted a couple times, they did all eventually complete. I just hope I won't be going through this every month; the whole thing took at least 12 hours.