Thanks

Deleting Hyperlinks - Word 2003

I have a 250-page document that includes dozens of Hyperinks. I'd like to turn all of them into plain text, not underlined, using some sort of easy method.

I know how to find Hyperlinks and delete them one-by-one by using Ctrl+K and clicking in the dialog box. That seems tedious.

I know how to Find and Replace various formats and styles, but I'm stumped here. I can use Find and Replace to find the Hyperlinks, but I don't know what to replace them with. What I'd like to replace them with is the character format that is in my Normal paragraph style. I don't see that option in the Find and Replace dialog. If I ever change the default Normal character format, I'd want these former Hyperlinks to change their character format, too.
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2013-01-25 at 15:46. Reason: copyedit
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are a few options for this. If you are happy using a search and replace then you can search for:
    Style = Hyperlink

Replace with:
    Style = Default Paragraph Font
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2013-01-26)

Thanks
    Well, I said "I don't see that option in the Find and Replace Dialog".

Just because I didn't see it doesn't mean it isn't there. It IS there, and it works. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Now I have a new problem. Though the Hyperlinks are now in the default paragraph font, some of them are still live links. There are other live links in the document that are there due to various reasons, but which were never formatted as Hyperlinks.

Here's my problem: How do I find all the active links in this 200+ page document? I want it to be text, and nothing more.

If I could find each of them, I could use a keyboard macro program to do the CTRL+K / Remove Link procedure. Right now, I don't know how to find them, other than by mousing over every word in the document and looking for the screen tip.

HELP!
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Similar questions have been asked previously. This link shows a macro which would do the job.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post680090
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    I Googled 'delete all word hyperlinks' and got the answer from a Microsoft forum:

Press CTRL+A to select the whole document, then press CTRL+SHIFT+F9

It seems to work. I'm guessing that it also clobbers any Fields that happen to be in the document, but there aren't any in mine.

UPDATE: My guess about fields was correct -- the method completely turned my carefully-created Table of Contents into plain text, and reset the TOC criteria to their default values.

To recover, I just closed the file without saving it, then reopened it with the TOC intact and all the Hyperlinks still live. This time instead of using CTRL+A, I just carefully selected everything after my TOC (put the cursor right after the TOC, then push CTRL+SHIFT+End), THEN did the CTRL+SHIFT+F9. All is well.
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2013-01-26 at 20:40.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA