Thread: Firefox slow

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox slow

Hi Im running windows 7 home premium 4 gig of RAM and when Firefox updated to release 18.0 I noticed web pages would not load as fast as they used to. Ive used the Firefox tweak in the Windows 7 For Dummies which worked fine up until they went to 18.0. Is there a problem with Firefox 18 ? Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Hi schonman,
    if I have trouble after updating FF, I download the latest version and re install it with my firewall disabled. It will do an upgrade install so you won't lose your settings.
    Installing.pdf
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Try disabling all your plugins. If your speed returns, enable them a few at a time until you find the culprit.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I would say the extensions idea is a good one. I'm using 18.0.1 without issue. In fact its the only browser of the big three that doesn't seem to have issues with Windows 8 so FF scored a new convert with me when I'm using W8 at least.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Having same issue, will try the disabling method.

Turned everything off and that made no change.
    Last edited by ldb; 2013-03-05 at 11:44. Reason: ran the tests

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Went back to Firefox 18.0.0 and installed ad block plus and still no joy. I guess having slow internet is better than none.

Thanks
    Is it just Firefox? If IE is also slow, you may have network problems and/or malware. If you are using a wireless connection, try a different channel. To be on the safe side, download and run Malwarebytes. (www.malwarebytes.org)

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried IE and it seemed faster. I have already scanned with 3 malware scanners as described in another post by me the same day. I ave a lot of customizations with Firefox that I am reluctant to give up. Thanks for the reply.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It used to be that I could delete my internet cache every time before I shut down the PC and not have to worry about lengthy page loads. I have now started not deleting the cache and Firefox is running much faster. Perhaps they designed it so it is more cache dependent. I guess now I recommend keeping your cache files when using Firefox and only deleting them when necessary.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Pages have become a lot "heavier" over time with graphics and animations also. When someone surfs a well-established facebook page now, its coming by the megabyte instead of the old connection-conscious conservation. Unless turned off, scroll down on a wall page and it just keep loading and loading and loading...