Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can I override the default browser for a single shortcut?

I run IE-9 as my default browser under Windows 7. I also have FireFox installed and use it occasionally.

When I create a shortcut for an internet location I simply type in the URL and then save it. When I click on that shortcut it starts IE (my default browser) and takes me there. My question is can I create a shortcut with a URL but have it use FireFox for that shortcut. I still want to keep IE as the default browser.
    I looked at the shortcut properties but don't see any place to specify the browser.

Can this be done?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You can't specify the browser in a URL shortcut. You need to create a shortcut that runs Firefox with the URL on the end - preceded by a space.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Yes, it is possible to achieve what you want. Add a shortcut to the browser and then edit the shortcut properties, and append the url to the target. For example, this is a possible target value:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" windowssecrets.com/forums

So, I guess the key is to have a shortcut for the browser and not for the URL, actually. You can rename the shortcut and can even change it's icon.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Yes, it is possible to achieve what you want. Add a shortcut to the browser and then edit the shortcut properties, and append the url to the target. For example, this is a possible target value:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" windowssecrets.com/forums

So, I guess the key is to have a shortcut for the browser and not for the URL, actually. You can rename the shortcut and can even change it's icon.
    I do all of my website shortcuts this way. Not only does it let you specify the browser to use, but also, it always opens up a new browser window for the desired website.

If you put only the web address in as your target for the shortcut, and you already have a browser window open, it will change the web address of the open browser window to the new address. I prefer that a new, separate window be opened for the new web page.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I want/need a URL link or IE shortcut to load in a specific browser other than default, I simply drag & drop it to a selected open browser that I wish to use.