2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will Win8 fix this the easy way?

I have a Dell desktop xps. Recently 2 issues cropped up. The first is an amazingly long boot time, the second is my DVD drive popping in aand out several times during the boot, remains open after boot and wont accept any disks or close attempts.
    If anybody has any ideas, or really believes an upgrade (?) to Win 8 should whack the issues (I'd been considering it anyway), please let me know!

Thanks
    A full reinstall or repair of Windows 7 may offer the best probability for a successful fix to your issues.
    Possibly the very worst reasons to ever consider an upgrade install, fix the operating system that you currently have.

If you do decide to upgrade to Windows 8, choose to install it clean without the Windows 7 entanglement your currently experiencing.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Yes, an Upgrade could very well carry forward the problem you have in Win 7 since we have no idea what's causing it. As Clint states Win 8 Custom (Clean) install should fix the problem. I would also go further and say do a format during the installation in case malware is causing your problem. After choosing Custom Install, the next screen has a Disk Options (Advanced) link which then allows you to format the disk prior to installing Win 8. Just highlight the disk where Win 7 is installed and choose Format. Once the format is completed the installation will continue.

If you decide to go this route, you only have a few more days before the special pricing for Win 8 expires (Jan. 31st)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Dell XPS? Which one? There are many and one of them, the XPS 400, is so bad that Dell themselves won't even take it back for repair.

First thing,,,, to install any software you're going to need a properly working DVD drive. I'd replace that drive first.

Good Luck!
    Doc
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!