Lounger
    Thanks

Want to use Windows XP3 Laptop from offline use

HI: I have a older Dell Laptop which I want to only use offline,for pictures and personal information etc.
    I just wanted to ask before I do begin using it offline if I can uninstall non essential programs like Flash,Shockwave,my NIS (License expiring soon) and some of the other programs I have on it.Being that I will not use it online anymore,I will not be updating every monthly Tuesday the M$ updates. I just wanted to ask is there anything that I should leave on or take off that I have not mentioned above.Thank you in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Yes, you can uninstall all that you mentioned. Without knowing how it is configured or what other programs are installed it is difficult to say.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Zee15 (2013-03-09)

Thanks
    There's probably a good fair amount of things one can do to an XP installation if all you want to do is run it offline:

Disable Internet Explorer in XP
    Disable your LAN from within device manager, or...
    Disable Internet Access in Windows Vista/XP
    Or simply just unplug the internet connection.
    Remove all 3rd party programs with an internet dependency:
    All 3rd party AV/AM and firewall tools.
    Remove JAVA, flash, and Shockwave.
    Consider nLite to trim XP.
    There is probably a lot of Dell stuff too that can come off, like it's update utility, and many others.

Clean Install
    I think the best method would be a clean install with the all the latest service packs and updates, then you could start from a fresh
    non "dll hell" infested setup. You'll have less to uninstall and therefore less installation registry entanglements.
    The clean install may also provide a prime opportunity to update the programs you plan to use to their latest versions, or simply
    choose the versions your comfortable with. The same can be done with drivers.
    With a Dell OEM Windows XP installation laptop you may need to "decrapify" it as well.
    Things to avoid updating with a planned non internet connected XP clean installation:
    All IE updates.
    Many .Net updates, except those required to run specific programs.

The Right Way To Install Windows XP

Then you could start trimming down & tweaking Windows XP:

How to delete unused folders and files located within the $hf_mig$ folder
    Cutting the fat - XP installs under 700mb
    TweakHound's Super XP Tweaking Guide - SP3 Final

Lastly, make an image of the drive once you have everything setup to your liking.
    In the event you have no installation disk, consider imaging the drive first prior to making any changes.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Zee15 (2013-03-09)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi: So based on your and Clints Post I should do a clean reinstall of XP? I have all the updates to XP up until this January's.The programs I have on there are NIS,Malawarebytes,SAS,Spywareblaster,Spybot and CC cleaner.Then there a few games,and Dell put Corel on there,similiar to M$ office.This laptop was brought in 2005 so it did not come with a back up Windows XP cd,guess that's when they started getting cheap and not giving them.I have the C drive (Main Programs) and a D drive which i have no access to which most likely is the back up.So if I have all current M$ updates and will not get anymore is it safe to Uninstall unneeded programs? What is your opinion please so I can get this Laptop cleaned up? Thank you.

Thanks
    Perform a complete image of the drive first prior to making any changes.
    What is drive imaging
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Zee15 (2013-03-07)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi: Thank You. I read all information. Just one quick question.Which is the best drive imagger to use?

Thanks
    That's a matter of opinion and many folks here will have their own "tried and true" application.
    I'm currently using Macrium Reflect pro.

Just remember, an image should not be created and placed on the same internal hard drive as your operating system, even if it is a
    different partition. An external drive dedicated to image storage only is always a good way to go. And whatever imaging app you
    ultimately decide on, make certain you create a boot disk. All imaging apps will allow you to create a bootable rescue disk.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-02-05 at 10:30.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Zee15 (2013-03-07)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did a disk Image with Macrium and put it in a external drive and created a bootable CD.I also found the Dell windows XP cd and the Dell driver cd and the Corel OEM cd that came with the laptop.It said I could also start the laptop with the Windows cd if I have too.So that gives me 2 choices.So i plan on updating all the Security and Malaware programs and doing a full scan with each.So after that will it be ok to revo the unneeded programs?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Yes, that sounds like a good plan.
    But remember, only the bootable disk you created with Macrium will allow you to recover an image in the event you cannot boot the laptop.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Zee15 (2013-03-07)

Thanks
    I would suggest making TWO boot CD's in case one gets damaged.

Also, try booting with the boot CD's to make sure they work properly.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Banyarola For This Useful Post:

Zee15 (2013-03-09)

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Zee15 (2013-03-09)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint; I just wanted to say thanks for all the help.I made the emergency boot disk and any other things we discussed,I did scans with all updated AV,Malawarebytes,Sas,Spybot,Trojan Remover all clear.I uninstalled them with Revo. I tested the emergency cd first,all worked fine.I have 2 copies of disk.I did a scan disk and a defrag and all is working fine.I left cc cleaner on,figured it won't hurt.Laptop runs much faster with out all the uninstalled programs. I just wanted to Thank you for the help.

Thanks
    You should try to restore your backup, just to make sure that it will work, and also to get familiar with the process, before you start storing stuff on the hard drive.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Zee15 (2013-03-09)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok;I shall try that.Thank You.