Lounger
    Thanks

Detecting Surrounding Wireless Signal Help

Win 7 64-bit
    Linksys E4200
    inSSIDer
    Wireless Net View

Hi:

I have a simple home setup: desktop with wired connection to Linksys E4200 which connects wireless to two printers. Everything works fine, wireless printing fine. Here's the problem: when using inSSIDer or Wireless Net View I am not able to detect any wireless network, including mine or several of my close neighbors. I used to see mine and my neighbors, but something has changed in the setup and I can no longer see ANY wireless networks.

Here's what I know is enabled:
    WLAN is set to Auto in services
    HomeGroup Listener is set to Auto in services
    HomeGroup Provider is set to Auto in services
    SSID broadcast is enabled in router configuration settings

Inssider says "no wi-fi networks found" and displays nothing. Wireless net view displays nothing.

Shouldn't I be able to detect any surrounding wireless networks?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
    Is your Wireless adapter shown in the upper right hand part of the InSSIDer tile bar? See:
    http://www.metageek.net/forums/showt...w-any-networks

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    No.

I'm not connecting to internet through a wireless connection. So, there is no wireless card or wireless adapter. The only wireless hardware is the Linksys E4200 router, which is being using to wireless connect printers.

I think the Linksys E4200 should be able to see the surrounding wireless networks, but apparently don't have something configured correctly.

Again, the Linksys is connected by wire (LAN) to the computer by which the internet connection is made by wire from modem through the router, not wireless.

Must there be a wireless adapter to see surrounding wireless networks? Or is the Linksys E4200 sufficient to see surrounding networks? If the Linksys is, how to configure the computer and router to do this?

Thanks

Thanks
    You need a wireless connection on the computer you're running InSSIDer on to see available networks. It doesn't matter if it's connected to a wireless router via ethernet.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you don't have a wireless adapter, InSSIDer won't be able to detect wireless networks. You need to have wireless access from the computer where InSSIDer runs.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I just read again the link you sent and at the bottom post it says inssider requires a wireless adapter and cannot use the router

I'm not entirely understanding why a wireless router cannot function as a wireless access. Can you explain this further, please?

Is there another program that can use the Linksys E4200 to detect surrounding networks?

Thanks
    I know of no programs that use the router to detect wireless networks without a local wireless card. The router has broadcast capabilities only. It doesn't have a wireless receiver.

Jerry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

ip45ywre (2013-01-26)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, so if I try to connect wireless from a laptop to the desktop through the router, that would not work. Assuming the laptop already had a wireless adapter, then I would have to add a wireless adapter to the desktop, either pci-e card or usb adapter. The router itself would not be sufficient. Is that correct?

Administrator
    Thanks
    The router is another device, the software it runs does not allow it to receive requests from another device / computer, to scan existing networks and return the findings to the requester.

Jerry, a router sends and receives data. It does have a wireless receiver.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ip45ywre View Post
    Ok, so if I try to connect wireless from a laptop to the desktop through the router, that would not work. Assuming the laptop already had a wireless adapter, then I would have to add a wireless adapter to the desktop, either pci-e card or usb adapter. The router itself would not be sufficient. Is that correct?
    That would work. The router routes requests between the different devices on the local network. The router will allow you to connect a wireless laptop to a wired desktop.

Lounger
    Thanks
    1) OK, so if the laptop had a wireless adapter, then I CAN connect to the desktop through the router without adding a wireless adapter to the desktop, correct?

2) And, because of the software, the router itself will not see surrounding wireless networks, I would have to add a wireless adapter to the desktop for that?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes to both questions.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

ip45ywre (2013-01-26)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to ruirib and jwitalka

Questions answered!

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    ip45ywre,

FYI yes there is software which can be used to have the router detect other wireless networks. It's called DDWRT. I don't know if this will work with your router though and it is dangerous to try since it replaces your current router software, unless of course you know what you are doing, which I don't in this case. I do however have a Linksys WRG54 router which was modified using this software by a company called Jeffa-Tech. I use this router in my Motorhome. When I arrive at a campground with Wi-Fi I place an external high gain antenna on a painters pole to get it out of the metal box and above the other metal boxes in the campground. A coax cable is run into the Motorhome and connected to the router. I then use my laptop to access the router's software which lets me see what networks are available, choose one, setup any security that is required, etc. Once this is done all the wireless devices in the Motorhome can connect via the router to which they already have the security information setup. This includes 2 Laptops, 2 Android phones, 1 Kindle Fire HD, 1 Vizio Android tables, and one HP Wireless AIO printer. I'm actually using this setup to communicate with WSL right now!

Just thought you'd like to know.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

ip45ywre (2013-01-26)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast