New Lounger
    Thanks

My Desktop is gone

Hi there. New to the site! Ok, we had a power flicker the other morning and since then, my desktop is gone on our main pc. The pc is plugged into a power surge, so not sure what's happened. When I start Windows 7 normally, I can see 2 sticky notes and "The Killers" as the background, but everything is gone. I can't use disc's, I can't access the control panel, nothing. I can start in "Safe Mode" and I can see the icons, can get to the internet, but of course you're limited to what you can do in there. I went back to a restore point and still no desktop. When I tried to get my daughter's "Sims" to play in safe mode, it said something about my graphics card not working. Could that be the issue with the desktop? I can't see it bc it won't allow me in Safe Mode. Please help!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The Sims is a separate issue, safe mode loads only a very basic video driver in case the normal video driver is corrupt and most games cannot play with only basic video drivers.

It sounds like you are getting to the desktop in normal mode because you see some of the components of your desktop (or does The Killers and sticky notes refer to something else?) but then it stops loading the desktop before the icons and taskbar and whatever else is normal come up. Is that true?

If so try the normal boot again and then Ctrl-Alt-Delete keys in combination and see if you get a screen with several options on it, including the option to start task manager. If so start it and under processes tab find and end explorer.exe. Then under the menu item File choose New Task (run...) and enter explorer.exe and ok it. See if that has any result.

If not, I would try one more restore point further back in time, but if that is unsuccessful then you might need to try a repair install with a Windows 7 disc to fix the corruption. I take it you only have the one account on the system?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If so try the normal boot again and then Ctrl-Alt-Delete keys in combination and see if you get a screen with several options on it, including the option to start task manager. If so start it and under processes tab find and end explorer.exe. Then under the menu item File choose New Task (run...) and enter explorer.exe and ok it. See if that has any result.
    Thanks for your help. When I do the above, the screen goes completely black and there's nothing there. I'm not sure why I can see the background pic/sticky notes on the desktop? But they're gone now to.

I'll go back to safe mode and see if I can go back to an earlier restore point and see what happens. At this point, I think it went to a Dec restore point. This flicker happened last week. I'll also try the repair disc, if it'll work, bc I can only do it in safe mode Nothing works from normal reboot.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That doesn't sound good, I think Windows is corrupted, probably not restorable. If it comes to a non-destructive repair with a Windows 7 disc, be sure to research it well first; it means something different for each iteration of Windows.

Thanks
    Hopefully it's a Windows problem, and not a hardware problem.

You could try to insert your installation or recovery disk, select Repair my PC, using the command prompt option type: sfc /scannow

Scannow may fix some of the system files. You might end up doing a Repair Install, or even a full reinstall.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy