2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Move mbr to a different partition

Can anyone tell me how to change my boot partition using the command prompt, either from within Win 8 or from the recovery environment. I moved it using Easy BCD and suspect that is why I lost the ability to boot from a usb stick, even though the option to do so is still in my bios.
    I plan to move the bcd store back to C drive and restore the Win 8 mbr. Then I would like to change my boot back to the small partition I created at the beginning of my disk.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rich

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Boot manager moved successfully but still can't boot from usb stick. Was able to up until about 2 weeks ago. Any ideas?

Rich

Thanks
    Disable "fast startup" prior to making any boot related changes.

Moving the BCD around on your mechanical drives should not have any affect on an independent USB based boot disk, unless
    you damaged or corrupted files on the USB boot disk.
    In which case you will need to recreate your USB boot disk.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint,
    Fast startup was disabled a while back.
    My laptop stopped booting from a usb stick 2 or 3 weeks ago and I've been trying to cover any of the changes I might have made prior to that even though I can't see how changes to either os would have any effect on bios.
    My bootable flash drives all work on my desktop computer. Even so, I re created one of them this morning. It still will not boot.
    My attempts so far have been to go back to my original bios and re flash the bios to the most recent version. I have done this several times. I have also gone into the bios and changed the boot order to many different configurations with no luck. When I press F10 to see boot order usb stick is not there even though it is listed in the bios. Laptop is 6 yrs old and no longer supported by gateway.
    I know my mobo supports booting from usb stick (or it once did) as I have done this many times, most recently in November to install Win 8.

Rich

Thanks
    Have you attempted to reinstall your USB drivers/chipset drivers?
    Or try your boot disk on a different USB port?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried all ports. I've updated my chipset drivers through intel but cannot find usb drivers. When I go into their properties and click update drivers it tells me my standard 2006 Microsoft drivers are best. Are the usb ports and controller generic or should intel have drivers?

Rich

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm confused by some of what you've said, so will offer up what may be some useless information.

1. While I'm not familiar with what Win 8 may or may not do to BIOSes (especially UEFI BIOSes, though your 6-year-old laptop presumably doesn't have one), if you reflashed your motherboard BIOS and then still failed to be able to boot your USB drive directly from the BIOS before running Win 8 again this failure has nothing to do with Win 8, or the drivers installed therein, or even any boot management present on your hard drive: it's purely a transaction between your BIOS and your USB drive.

2. I haven't tried out any Win 8 BCD facilities that allow you to boot an operating system on some other drive (USB or otherwise), but you should realize that such facilities have nothing to do with the MBR. The MBR (assuming that you're not using GUID partitioning: while I think it existed at the time your laptop was built, Vista reportedly could not boot from it without a UEFI BIOS) on the first drive in the BIOS boot order that has one is used by the BIOS to boot up a boot manager (e.g., bootmgr, or ntldr, or IO.SYS, or grub) in the 'active' (Microsoft will usually call this the 'system') primary partition on the same disk (the MBR itself resides outside any partition). That boot manager will use instructions co-resident with it in that partition (BCD for bootmgr, boot.ini for ntldr, etc.) plus optional interactive input to decide which partition on the disk (or on some other disk) to try to boot up an operating system in - so if you set up BCD to support booting your USB drive and have been trying to do that (rather than boot it directly from your BIOS as described in the previous point) then indeed BCD could be the problem (though I still don't think that Win 8 or any of its drivers could be).. However, portions of what you've said suggest that you've been trying to boot directly from the BIOS (e.g, your statement that the USB drive did not show up as a boot option there).

3. To be bootable by either of the above methods your USB drive must itself contain some necessary code, but since you say that it boots just fine on other hardware this doesn't seem to be the problem.

4. CLiNT already suggested trying other USB ports, so it's apparently not a port problem.

That leaves only two obvious possibilities: 1) that somehow support for booting from USB has been disabled in your BIOS (if it even has such a setting) or 2) that you've got a hardware problem in your motherboard (conceivably a corrupted BIOS flash nvram that won't reflash properly, though I'd hope that the BIOS self-diagnostics themselves would identify that, or some intermediate-level USB support that's required to boot a USB drive directly from BIOS but which is by-passed by drivers in a running system - assuming that you do still have data access to the USB drive in a running system).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do USB ports work from within Windows?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This appears to be a problem with my bios not seeing my usb ports. I can set usb stick as my 1st boot device in bios but when I save changes and exit it still will not boot to the stick. Boot options shows cd/dvd drive, main hard drive, usb hard drive, and boot to LAN.

These are 3 sticks that all show as drives when windows is running and I can run setup on all 3 sticks from within windows.

These sticks all boot on my desktop box. So far I haven't been able to find any difference in configuration (drivers, power settings) that I can pinpoint as the problem. I am working diligently though as I hate it when things don't work as they should.
    The easy way would be to boot from dvd but that would be too simple a solution.

Rich

Thanks
    Take a look through the documentation of your make and model's BIOS reset function.
    [and or] Power off the laptop & remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes.

If the issue is with BIOS, either of the above might resolve it.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build: