Star Lounger
    Thanks

External booting

Hi,

Just thinking out loud here.

Is there a way to have an external boot drive that I can utilise via a plug n play method. Typical scenario is to have a known clean boot system with latest AV / Malware scan software on it to boot from and scan a potentially infected system.

If so, any cavetas to be aware of? Anything I should consider such as could an SSD be used to aid speed?

Only one I can think of is infection leaking back to teh 'clean' drive but then that could be resolved by having an image of the system kept elsewhere for re-imaging back to a known clean state.

Stuart

Administrator
    Thanks
    Many people burn a boot CD/DVD with tools for such a situation. The problem with a boot drive, either HD or thumb drive, is that some older systems may not support booting from them.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks JoeP517 - Yeah I typically do the CD / DVD thing but that soon becomes out of date.

As I say was thinking out loud.

If the scenario was different and just wanted to be able to boot my (or any) system externally that is a fairly modern desktop then is that doable via an external SSD in a caddy? I'm guessing so if you can set a PC to boot from USB then that should be possible ...?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure, but there's the prep for any external magnetic or flash drive to make it bootable which can be a hassle, and out of date or not, boot discs are breeze to make and its not possible to infect them by default. I surely would not bother if an optic drive were available, even an external USB optic drive. It will become more and more necessary for techs but I've happily survived without making one so far.

No need or reason for an SSD I think until the common support in a BIOS (UEFI) is for USB3.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

stubbyd (2013-03-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    you can boot via CD/DVD and if doesn't you should probably Check The Bios
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________
    unblocked games at school
    hacking tricks
    Last edited by tabestmaker2; 2014-06-13 at 05:53.