New Lounger
    Thanks

vista upgrade to windows 7 pro?

I want to upgrade my 32 bit vista pc to 64 bit win 7. I was going to select win 7 pro, but I found a couple of statements, including on microsoft's site, that
    said from 32 bit vista I have to go to win7 ultimate!

since it's a clean install, and not an upgrade, this doesn't really make sense to me...does anyone have any insight on this? is it feasible to go to win7 pro?

if there's some reason for it, then I'll do ultimate...but I wanted to save the money and go to pro.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    There are supported upgrade paths, listed here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=ws.10).aspx.
    For a clean install, you really should have no issues. Supported upgrade paths mean migration of your documents, settings and apps, but you clearly do not want that, so backup your stuff, maybe even use the Files and Settings Transfer wizard to save files and settings to be recovered once you complete the migration.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You can go with whatever you want in a clean install. Basically upgrade paths are only restricted to same bit-version (32 or 64) and same version level or higher in the upgrade product. So if you have Vista Ultimate then you would be restricted to Win 7 Ultimate.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    You can go with whatever you want in a clean install. Basically upgrade paths are only restricted to same bit-version (32 or 64) and same version level or higher in the upgrade product. So if you have Vista Ultimate then you would be restricted to Win 7 Ultimate.
    yeah, that's what I wanted to verify, before I made my purchase of win 7. It's 32bit to 64bit, so I didn't expect an in-place upgrade, and in fact I was going to use windows
    easy transfer to move/backup files, then do a new install of win 7 pro 64 bit.

here's another related question - this is on a hp pc. I did not get a windows disc with it (at least that I can find), but I did make the restore disc as they recommend. will that restore disc be enough to "prove" to the win7 pro upgrade that I have a prior (eligible) version of windows?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just the recovery partition on the hard drive is enough upgrade-wise, but as mentioned you can install the upgrade version on a completely empty drive (has to be that option in case a hard drive dies) and because MS doesn't send out install discs with systems, don't need that for verification either.
    The disc won't let you continue if you start it from within Vista but booting from it and choosing the custom install (fresh install--creates Windows.old to encapsulate the Vista install) route should work fine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ah yes, forgot about the recovery partition. though that does raise another question...but first a quick follow-up:

I thought there was an "upgrade version" of win 7, that is cheaper but will only work if you have a prior version of windows, and a "full" version, that won't do any checks for
    prior versions. Am I not understanding it correctly?

and for the other question - since there's a 1GB recovery partition on the drive, and I won't (shouldn't?) need that after I upgrade to win 7, will there be an easy way (without buying Partition Magic or something) to get rid of that partition and get that 1GB back? (assuming there's no reason not to do this.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Download free version of EaseUS partition Manager. Great program.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I'm only talking about the less expensive upgrade version. Scenario: Normal upgrade from Vista to Win 7 is performed and everything is hunky dory for six months; then, the hard drive dies, you purchase a new drive and only have the Win 7 upgrade disc...what do you do? Answer: It's the exception that proves the rule; there has to be a way to install Win 7 upgrade to a new empty drive.

Can that exception be taken advantage of? Absolutely, but if you study the pricing tiers of the different types of Windows 7 versions, you'll see that MS already took this possible loophole into consideration. The upgrade version is usually about $20 more than the OEM version. Microsoft knows they are going to sell very very few full versions so they just set a benchmark price (not market price) so they can keep the versions that do sell readily at the prices they want. Marketing 101.

You can use any free and competent partition software to manipulate partitions at any time as long as you have the partition software on a boot disc, load and run it from RAM. I use GParted but there are plenty of others. EaseUS I think has nice free partitioning software.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So, to summarize and ensure I understand:

I should have no problem using the 64 bit win 7 pro upgrade version, from 32 bit vista home advanced. I will use windows easy transfer for my old files and do a clean install
    of 64 bit win 7 pro, and it won't even need any "proof" that I have a previous version of windows (because it'll get it from the recovery partition? automatically?). then I can
    use EaseUS (for example) to get rid of the recovery partition because I'll no longer need it.

Do I have everything right?

Thanks!
    Ron

Administrator
    Thanks
    At Transferring files and settings Microsoft specifically says you can not use Windows Easy Transfer when going from a 64-bit OS to a 32-bit OS. I realize you are doing the opposite but I'd be leery of using Windows Easy Transfer. I may be just as easy to copy your files to an external HD and then re-copy them after the new OS is installed.

See Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media for instructions.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Right but you'll actually have two forms of upgrade verification, the recovery partition and the Vista install. You can format the system partition during the custom upgrade prior to Win 7 installation but if you have enough room (30 gigs or so of free space) on the drive you can just install Win 7 and the Vista install will be relegated to Windows.old with the option to recover any data files that you may have forgotten about before deleting Windows.old. Either way.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - but I got the easy transfer idea from microsoft's site, in a list of instructions for upgrading from vista to win7 - which I believe was 32 to 64. I'd have to dig up the
    exact link. I also saw this on another windows site. They also mention that it's included on the win7 upgrade disk, so that might mean something?

found the link: http://windows.microsoft.com/upgrade...s-vista-custom - it's on the third page or so of these instructions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    At Transferring files and settings Microsoft specifically says you can not use Windows Easy Transfer when going from a 64-bit OS to a 32-bit OS. I realize you are doing the opposite but I'd be leery of using Windows Easy Transfer. I may be just as easy to copy your files to an external HD and then re-copy them after the new OS is installed.

See Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media for instructions.

Joe
    I don't believe there's an issue going from 32 bit to 64 bit with Windows Easy Transfer. 64 bit Windows supports 32 bit apps and the settings should transfer over OK. The opposite isn't true which is why they have the warning. Data should go either way.

Jerry