Thanks

Importing (?) Styles - Word 2003

I have a 250-page document based on Normal.dot. I've created a few new styles in it, and they've helped me greatly in managing the complexity in the 250 pages.

I have a smaller document, related to the first, and I'd like it to have these same new styles. I do NOT want to add them to Normal.dot. Also, I may want to add all or part of the second document into the first, and I'd like the styles to come along with it.

I've poked around in reference books, which have a huge amount of information on styles and templates, but I haven't found a simple solution to what I want to do. (It's probably in there somewhere, if I just knew where to start looking -- you know the feeling.)

How do I get those styles into the new document?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can save the document with the styles you want under a new name. Delete everything but the last paragraph mark, adjust margins, headers and footers, and other page formatting as necessary, and save the renamed document as a template (.dot). Documents created from the template will have the styles of your original document. I do this whenever a client has a document whose format and styles it wants to use but does not have a template. That means I do a fair amount of cleanup to the renamed document (deleting unused styles, checking the numbering, running repair) before I convert it to a template. And yes, I did this with W2003 too.

HTH
    Pam Caswell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Note that after you create the template per Pam's instructions above, you will need to attach it to the new document. In Word 2003, use the Tools > Templates and Add-Ins dialog. Browse to select the template created above, then click the "Automatically Update Document Styles" checkbox. This will apply the styles from your new template to any elements already tagged with a style of the same name. This is an important -- and often overlooked and misunderstood -- step in applying styles from a custom template.

If you do not use this checkbox, the styles may not be applied as you expect. This MVP site offers a good discussion about how this works -- and how to use it effectively.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to EricFletcher For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2013-01-29)

Thanks
    It seems to be working and doing what I want. Thanks to all concerned.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Just one more thing. Remember to clear the "Automatically Update Document Styles" checkbox, preferably immediately after the styles have been updated. If you don't, changes you intentionally make to the document's styles will be lost, aka returned to the template's settings.

Glad to help.
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2013-01-29 at 23:01.
    Pam Caswell

Thanks
    Got it!
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    A simple approach is to create a series of empty paragraphs in the source document, each one formatted in the desired style, then cut & paste those paragraphs into the target document. That's all it takes to transfer the Styles.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Paul

I thought that this will only bring in the new styles that weren't already existing in the target document - it won't change the style definitions for any of the built-in styles since they already exist in the target doc.

Lou
    I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the style organizer method of copying styles between documents. You can read up on it with a google search but here is a link you could look at first...
    http://cybertext.wordpress.com/2010/...nt-to-another/
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The organizer works OK with just a few styles, but some Word MVPs recommend that you copy styles attached to number levels at least twice. I like my way better when there are 20 or 30 styles, which is pretty typical for large docs, and when multilevel lists need to be maintained.
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew,

As Lou's first post made specific mention of new styles, that's all I limited my response to. You are correct, of course, in that you can't update existing Styles this way. And yes, the Organizer provides another way of transferring Styles. For something more flexible, you might want to take a look at:
    http://www.msofficeforums.com/word-v...html#post28497
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Thanks to all for all the good suggestions.

I discovered the Organizer as I was perusing one of my reference books. It seems to be the best tool for my original problem (which has DEFINITELY been fixed, given all the good and varied advice about it).

When working on this stuff, I noticed that my Normal.dot included several styles that I had created for specific documents over the years, and that I definitely didn't need or want in Normal.dot. The Organizer helped me get rid of them.

By way of offering my own help, I include in the My Documents folder three special shortcuts: one to the folder where the Word templates live, and the others to the folders for XLB and XLSTART. When there's a problem in one of those places, I no longer have to remember their rarely-used and somewhat obscure locations, and I no longer have to put off fixing the problems because it's too much trouble to find them.
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2013-01-31 at 10:50.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA