New Lounger
    Thanks

List of Windows Updates to avoid

I have just completed a reinstall of Windows 7 from disc, and am now confronted with 97 Windows Updates to be installed. Is there a list of Updates that should be avoided altogether? Also, I assume the order of installs is important, but I can't find a way to order the Updates by date. Thank you for any information that you can provide.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    No Windows updates should be avoided. Just proceed with the install and deal with any pending issues once you do. If SP1 is one of the updates, probably that would be the one I would select (and only that one) and then re-run Windows update to install any remaining updates.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

ribbit (2013-01-28)

Thanks
    I have installed all updates with Win 7 and Win 8 without problems. Each PC will be different so what works for one will not necessarily work on another. I might try starting with Sp1, then choose a few updates at a time to install.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

ribbit (2013-01-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your quick reply. I'll search out the SP1 update and then proceed with the remaining items. I was concerned about some of the updates that had been reported as causing major problems, but it sounds like those "bad apples" were eventually corrected. I appreciate your help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your quick reply. Glad to hear that you haven't encountered any problems with the installs. I'll take your advice and sprinkle in a couple of restore points as the updates proceed.

Thanks
    The updates that have caused the most problems are SP1 and one of the .net updates. I think Windows 7 will automatically create a restore point prior to installing a critical update.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    The updates that have caused the most problems are SP1 and one of the .net updates. I think Windows 7 will automatically create a restore point prior to installing a critical update.

Jerry
    Indeed it does, Jerry. Windows will automatically create a restore point before installing updates, so manual addition of restore points is not needed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi ruirib,

I am a new Windows 7 Home Edition X64 user. I only have 2 programs that I installed: Avast AV & Comodo Firewall! All other programs I run are portable ones that do NOT have to be installed on the system.

The Windows update on my laptop tells me it has 11 important updates to install: One is the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB982526), 7 others are Security Updates for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems,
    the LAST 3 ARE : WIN7 SP1, Internet Explorer 9, & Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - January 2013.

My questions are: Since I do NOT have any .NET framework programs, why am I even being sent these updates, and if I agree to install these .NET Framework updates - what good do they do me as I have no installed programs that require them?Windows updates.jpg.

I am currently running IE8, but do not use it as my main browser, I use Firefox, Opera, Maxthon, or Iron in their portable modes! I thought a while ago I read somewhere that you shud NOT install IE9 due to various problems with it?

The Win 7 SP1 & Software removal tool I can see that I shud install!

I welcome your comments on the others updates & if I shud install them or not??

Oh, the Windows updates also gives me 37 optional updates, Partial listing: 37 other Win7 updates.jpg, which ones of those are actually required & shud I install??

Thank you very much for your answers, they are MOST appreciated!

Sincerely,
    Cindy

Thanks
    Cindy,

Even though your apps are portable they do interface with Windows, and in many cases Windows Net Framework. Since Net is installed on your PC, the updates are generally security updates to Net, so my advice is to upgrade those.

IE 8 is less secure than IE 9. Even though you use 3rd party browsers, some of the apps also use the IE interface, WU for example. I believe you would also be wise to install IE 9.

The optional updates add functionality and fix bugs to various Windows apps. Again, I chose to install them and never had a problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Windows 7 includes .net 3.5, so you definitely should install the updates, as they are security updates. One can never estimate the risk of not doing so accurately, but most successful malware takes advantage of rather old security bugs in Windows. I always patch and that is my advice to you as well.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Cindy,

With that very substantial list of updates inlcuding SP1, I advise you to backup your system before beginning this process. Then I'd begin with SP1 by itself as it may contain some of the other updates. I've always had better luck with service packs downloading the complete service pack separately from Windows Update. You can download SP1 from Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932). You want the version that is second from the bottom of the list - windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe. Once SP1 is installed, I'd run with it for a few days before attempting the other updates. Do another backup so you have a fail safe point to which you can return should something really bad happen. Check Windows update to see what is being offer and then I'd do the critical updates. Repeat the run for a few days and then backup again. Proceed with the other recommended updates.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I usually am very reluctant to install any .NET framework updates, whether they're security updates or non-security updates as several of them cause more problems than fixing them. better read any of the Windows Secrets newsletters by either Susan Bradley or Woody Leonard on which NET updates to install and which not to install.

the SP1 update for Win7 is now a MUST as Microsoft will end support for Win7 RTM (those using pre-SP1 editions of Windows 7)
    on April 9, 2013.