Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 Upgrade, Yes or No?

Wondering...
    1. If I purchase the upgrade online (no DVD) is there a way to save the file that MS delivers to me (considering only Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit)? Assuming that there is, would that, in effect, be a full Windows 8 or an upgrade? When burnt to a dvd would it be bootable (like a new Windows installation)? Should I need to reinstall this Windows 8 (if it is not a full version) must I install Windows 7 (also Pro, 64 bit) first and then install Windows 8 over it?

2. The Gadgets are not supported. Are there "non-Gadget equivalent whatevers" - do the same thing but not use the Gadget-way-of-doing-things? If yes, from the Store? Or?

3. The Upgrade Assistant states that I must "remove authorized pcs" for iTunes. Does this mean uninstall iTunes before upgrading to Windows 8? If yes, when I reinstall iTunes into Windows 8 will I have lost all my iTunes "stuff?"

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 1,070 Posts
    1. Yes, there is. You need to burn it to a DVD and you can keep the DVD.

2. Some apps can be seen as behaving similar to gadgets, through their Live Tiles

3. Don't have iTunes, but I think the stuff you buy in iTunes can be re-downloaded at any time.

Thanks
    1. As RUI said, you can download an iso file that you can burn to a DVD. Using the product ID you're given as part of the download process will get you a Windows 8 pro upgrade DVD, not a full Windows DVD.

2. See http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/wi...ets-windows-8/ to get your Windows 7 gadgets back,. I don't use gadgets so I can't speak for the effectiveness of this program

3. See the following description of moving Itunes to a different computer:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

Jerry

Thanks
    Just to expand upon the ISO download, when you get to the point where you have three options, choose Install by creating media. This will download the ISO file to your PC, which you can save on your PC. You can then right click the ISO file and choose Burn Disk Image. This will burn the ISO file to a DVD.

Any of your iTune data as well as all other data should be backed up on another media before you start the process. Also it is always a good idea to create a system Image before you start.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan_1 View Post
    Assuming that there is, would that, in effect, be a full Windows 8 or an upgrade?
    Either.

When burnt to a dvd would it be bootable (like a new Windows installation)?
    Yes.

Should I need to reinstall this Windows 8 (if it is not a full version) must I install Windows 7 (also Pro, 64 bit) first and then install Windows 8 over it?
    No.

Bruce

Thanks
    The download of Windows 8 Pro Upgrade from Microsoft is just that, an upgrade. You will not be able to install it on a PC or laptop that does not have a qualifying previous version of Windows installed on it.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To be slightly more precise, what you download will, I believe, be a generic Windows 8 (or perhaps only a generic Windows 8 Pro) which can be burned to DVD or USB if you choose; it does not require any components from a previous version of Windows which you're upgrading, hence can be used as a 'full' version for things like repair purposes (e.g., see Bruce's comment above).

Various credible sources have stated that what differentiates the 'upgrade' from the 'full' version is the product key which you'll get in an accompanying email (some people have even claimed that the product key you'll get may be usable as a 'full' one, but others say it's not and I haven't tried to verify this). You will certainly not be LEGALLY able to install it on a PC or laptop that does not have a qualifying previous version of Windows installed on it, but this is not strictly enforced in software (i.e., while no one here, including me, would encourage you to try this it may be difficult but not impossible) and it's not clear whether Microsoft has any on-line mechanisms in place to detect such license abuse or, of they do, the inclination to take action to correct it.

Edit: For completeness, you should note that your download will reflect the Windows operating system you used to perform it - 32-bit if you use a 32-bit operating system (even if you have 64-bit hardware), 64-bit if you use a 64-bit operating system. Should you want the capability to install BOTH varieties you'll need to perform the download a second time (using the link near the top of the confirmation email) using the other kind of system.
    Last edited by - bill; 2013-01-28 at 17:57.

Thanks
    For what it's worth, I have indeed formatted a partition that contained Windows 7 Home Premium, and then tried to install Windows 8 on that formatted partition.

The installer told me that it couldn't find a previous version of Windows on the PC, and closed.

While it is indeed a "full" version of Windows 8, it is sold as an Upgrade, and it checks for a previous version installed on the PC. (Anyone who has booted a windows installation DVD and used the Windows Recovery Environment is familiar with that search for a Windows installation.)

I restored my drive image of Windows 7 Home Premium, tried the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade again, aimed it at my Windows 7 Home Premium partition and the installer formatted and installed Windows 8 Pro Upgrade.

YMMV
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-01-28 at 19:09. Reason: clarity
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to clarify my previous comment, while I have personally successfully installed a Windows 8 Professional Upgrade over the Windows 8 Release Preview (which may or may not constitute 'a previous version of Windows' but was expressly stated to be a valid option by Microsoft officials despite not being listed in the EULA) I have no personal experience that it's possible simply to install and then activate the Upgrade on an empty disk: that's merely something I've heard alleged elsewhere, and since every product key is different I'm willing to entertain the possibility that SOME product keys may allow this.

Far more credible to me, however, are the various assertions floating around the Web (and no, I haven't verified them) that the 'checks' that the Upgrade performs are quite lenient, such that, e.g., the required 'previous version' need not have been activated and/or one can avoid the need for ANY preexisting installation by judicious Registry modifications during the process.

In other words, Microsoft appears to have left some INTENTIONAL loopholes to avoid some requirements of the Upgrade EULA (since they're clearly capable of having closed them had they wished to), just as it reportedly did with Windows 7 - and one of those (the ability to upgrade from the Release Preview) was expressly identified as acceptable practice before the product shipped. While I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone take advantage of them to avoid the intent of the EULA (as extended by Microsoft's own commentary regarding the Release Preview), I wouldn't hesitate for a second to explore them to, e.g., facilitate legal migration from the original installation to a different system if I ran into difficulties doing so.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tonight I helped a friend install the Windows 8 Pro upgrade. Booted the download from a USB drive, did a "custom" install, had it delete the existing partitions and create a new one, and installed windows 8 without any problems.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post

The installer told me that it couldn't find a previous version of Windows on the PC, and closed.
    YMMV
    I wonder if that's a one-off or there were extenuating circumstances; or (Monty Python Spanish Inquisition music) there's been a change. Everything I've read says the upgrade will install on a bare drive but that it will not activate, but there is a registry hack to activate upon reboot. About 9 out of 10 said it worked. These are post from the early days of retail release though (very late Oct. into early November). If Win 8 Upgrade won't install to begin with, it would be a bit difficult to edit the registry.

The Windows 7 to 8 destop gadget bar linked to earlier in this thread seems quite nice, especially if working with a widescreen monitor of course. It's semi-transparent and and changes colors along with the rest of the desktop components if the "chameleon" color theme is used. Option to pull out gadgets for individual placement and closing of the bar. Has a windows manager swap hotbutton but I don't know how useful that would be to anyone since all it seems to do is replicate taskbar peek function.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMac56 View Post
    Tonight I helped a friend install the Windows 8 Pro upgrade. Booted the download from a USB drive, did a "custom" install, had it delete the existing partitions and create a new one, and installed windows 8 without any problems.
    As long as a version of XP, Vista, or Win 7 (or a Win 8 Release Preview) was present on one of the partitions that you deleted, that's no surprise: the Win 8 Pro upgrade installation seems to detect the presence of a qualifying pre-existing system (however loosely that may be defined in the software) BEFORE the point where it formats the partition or even the entire disk containing that qualifying pre-existing system, and use that information to OK the upgrade's continuance (though it wouldn't surprise me if losing power at a critical point during this process could screw this up, leaving you with an empty disk upon which the upgrade would no longer install unless you had squirreled away a backup copy of the pre-existing partition which you could restore first).

Thanks
    What I have read is that if the format is done as part of the installation (Custom Install, next screen Choose Drive Options (Advanced), next screen Format) the installation proceeds fine (This is how I installed Win 8 on our 3 PCs.) If however you format the partition (drive) before starting the installation by booting to a DVD or Flash drive containing the Win 8 Installation (ISO file burned to media) then what happened to bbearren will occur.

I no longer have an empty partition to check this assertion at this time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico, I agree with you, this is what I did on two machines. It sure simplified the install, let it do the format then no problem at all. JP.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    During my "custom" install Win 8 did examine the partition and said it could not install on the existing partitions. I deleted the main partition and it gave me the same message again. Only after deleting both partitions (2nd was the tiny, <40mb partition) did it go ahead and install.
    Possibly if trying to install on a pre-formatted drive it fails?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast