2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Metro Mail vs. Windows Live Mail

Hi,
    I'm new to Windows 8 and installed my mail accounts to the start screen mail with some difficulty, since most of my mail accounts are local accounts. I required ALL of the account info to make those accounts work. Mission accomplished. I do like that the messages are right there when I sign in, and the onscreen reminders as each message comes in. Kind of neat.

Now, I find a lot of features missing in this barebones Metro Mail, such as moving messages around, attaching files, etc. (Maybe I just haven't found them yet???) I would like to also run these mail accounts in Windows Live Mail on the desktop side, just for the flexibility and tools that Windows Live Mail gives me. I installed Windows Live Mail and it imported my email accounts, because I had a backup of the store folder from my XP computer in my documents.

My question is: Is there going to be a conflict with having these same accounts on both ends of the Windows 8 spectrum? Will new mail go to the Start Screen Mail, or the Windows Live Mail, or the one I open up first, or all of the above? I'm confused. Thanks in advance for clarification. judson

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    The Windows 8 mail app only supports IMAP, as far as I can tell. That means that if you do not do something like deleting mail from there, you should have no issues receiving mail on either app. Same applies to Windows Live Mail, although there you should have more flexibility. If you setup your accounts there as IMAP too, thinng should work without issues, though probably images marked as read on one will show as read on the other.

If you use POP on Windows Live Mail, you need to be careful not to remove messages as they are read, because then they will no longer be available on the Windows 8 mail app and if you read them first on WLM, they won't even show up on the W8 mail app. I haven't used Windows Live Mail, but it should be pretty easy to configure it not to delete messages as they are read.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Judson,
    There shouldn't be any conflicts and your mail will go to both programs if it is saved on the server. Win mail does not support pop3 so I would assume non of your accounts are if they have shown up in metro mail.
    To create new folders in metro mail I had to add my live mail account ( hot mail, yahoo mail or whichever you use) to Windows Live Mail and create them there. They then showed up when I went to metro mail. This was back in Nov. so the ability to add folders may have been added to metro through updates since then, I rarely go into it so I don't know.
    You can move mail around once you have folders set up, but to have them go into specific folders as they are downloaded you need to set up message rules for that account in Windows Live Mail.
    Hope this helps.

Rich

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, ruirib

I have successfully entered my three pop local accounts into the Windows 8 start screen mail. Must have just been beginners luck, but when I did it, I wasn't aware that it might not work. So apparently it's possible now.

This is really what I want, especially for my main email pop account where the majority of my mail arrives. If I remove the messages from there, I would definitely want them gone from the Start Screen Mail also. So that helps, actually. I suppose it will just take me a few days to figure out which deletes from the other.

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    The Windows 8 mail app only supports IMAP, as far as I can tell. That means that if you do not do something like deleting mail from there, you should have no issues receiving mail on either app. Same applies to Windows Live Mail, although there you should have more flexibility. If you setup your accounts there as IMAP too, thinng should work without issues, though probably images marked as read on one will show as read on the other.

If you use POP on Windows Live Mail, you need to be careful not to remove messages as they are read, because then they will no longer be available on the Windows 8 mail app and if you read them first on WLM, they won't even show up on the W8 mail app. I haven't used Windows Live Mail, but it should be pretty easy to configure it not to delete messages as they are read.
    Thanks for the help. Judy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, rlfvt.
    Yes, they are pop accounts.

Good to know about creating the new folders in WLM. That they will sync to Metro mail should be a real bonus. Thanks. judson

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have just tried adding a POP account and I was told POP accounts are not supported by the Windows 8 app. I think some misunderstanding is occurring regarding these accounts.

Thanks
    Judy, Do you use Windows Live Mail to access these POP accounts? My POP mail account will not work in the Win 8 Style Win Mail app either. I do have all 4 accounts set up in WLM, including my POP account.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you go to metro Win 8 Mail>Charms Bar> Settings>Accounts it does list pop but I have not tried to set it up as I use metro mail sparingly.

Rich

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    But if you select POP and click Connect it says not supported.

Bruce

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Medico. Yes, my account's incoming server is pop3:mail.*****.net on port 110. Outgoing is SMTP: mail.*****.net on port 25. Logon uses clear text auth. Alg. 3DES. Once I got all the right settings, it works on both the Metro Mail and Windows Live Mail. I've used Windows Live Mail for years with this local account ever since the death of Outlook Express, and it's always worked. Judy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I should add that I manually configure the settings. Judy

Thanks
    OK, I just went to the Mail App. Yes it does have a pop select button, but when I selected this to add my POP account, it says that POP is not supported as Bruce just mentioned.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    OK, I just went to the Mail App. Yes it does have a pop select button, but when I selected this to add my POP account, it says that POP is not supported as Bruce just mentioned.
    I knew it wasn't supported and I even admitted a recent update might have fixed that, that's why I tried it. POP is not supported.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So far it's working. Not ideally. When I view and delete the local mail account messages from WLM, they don't automatically delete from the Metro mail as I had hoped. Not sure yet if I delete them from Metro mail first if they go off WLM, but for what I want, I like the theory of it. Thanks to all of you for the advice. Judy