Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, folks are crossing their understandings here so...it would be interesting to know if formatted or not formatted or UEFI/non UEFI makes any difference or if anyone has a different experience NOW than what bbearren had. As I stated earlier, it seemed to be working from what I read in the first few days of release.

Edit: Had the additional thought of OEM embedded BIOS key vs. the home built system as well.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-01-29 at 15:14.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bill,
    I successfully installed Win 8 Pro upgrade over the 90 day Win 8 Evaluation which is the complete version. Everything ran great. Then last week I went to charms>pc settings>General> advanced startup>restart and I could not get into the recovery environment. I tried this several times, both from within Windows and with my boot disk installed.

I then uninstalled Win 8 and reinstalled Vista. Then I reinstalled Win 8 Pro Upgrade over the virgin Vista and everything works as it should. I had to install all updates and reinstall my programs as I figured my images would just bring the problem back. It took a few hours but I believe I now have a properly functional OS.

Of course the inability to boot into the advanced startup option could have been caused by something else, but as I said, the OS gave no indication of any problems for the 3 months it was installed. This is also a dual boot with Win 7 Ultimate.

Rich

Now I only have a bios problem to deal with.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, those advanced boot options/restart settings seem to have dependencies we're not entirely clear about as far as what level of function is available after installation.

Thanks
    I won't have time until the weekend, but I have another Windows 8 Pro Upgrade I bought last week while the price was still right, and my laptop is EFI capable. I'll try some combinations, take some notes, and post the aftermath.

And when I've done all that, I may setup my laptop for dual boot with Windows 7/8 to see how that works with EFI enabled.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMac56 View Post
    During my "custom" install Win 8 did examine the partition and said it could not install on the existing partitions.
    I wonder why: all three of my own Win 8 Pro Upgrades have installed without demur (on non-UEFI systems) directly into pre-existing logical partitions containing upgradable systems (I use an active FAT32 primary partition containing a DOS 7.1 system as what Microsoft calls the common 'system' partition for all the systems I multi-boot), and the partition structure has not only been the traditional MBR (vs. GUID) structure but has also been the old-style logical-cylinder-aligned variety rather than used Vista-and-later-style 1MB alignment (though it has been manually optimized such that file system clusters do align with 4 KB disk boundaries, since some of the disks are advanced format).

I deleted the main partition and it gave me the same message again. Only after deleting both partitions (2nd was the tiny, <40mb partition) did it go ahead and install.
    Hmmm. That sounds like the default (and hidden) 'system' partition that Win 7, Win 8, and perhaps Vista install on an empty disk if you don't take pains to prevent it, but I have no personal acquaintance with any idiosyncrasies that its presence might cause since I don't allow it to be created (as I said, I use a pre-existing FAT32 active primary partition instead).

I don't think you mentioned whether your system had a UEFI BIOS or whether it used the GUID partition structure. And it's still not clear to me whether you were performing the installation on a disk (and if it wasn't the only disk in your system that further complicates things) that contained an existing system that the Win 8 Upgrade considered a valid target or installing it on a system with no such valid target (in which case deleting the existing partition structure might have been what was necessary to get this nominally unsupported install to work).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bill,

I'd heard enough about problems with "upgrading" that I decided it best to start fresh - also the guy I was helping was having issues with Windows 7 crashing. The no-name computer he has was about a year old and does have UEFI, although Windows 8 said it was out of date and, as such, not supported.
    This was my first face to face encounter with Windows 8, and I felt the install went fairly quick and easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12