Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

No networking after installing new router ("Unidentified Network")

I was having some wi-fi issues with my ZyXel X-550 Xtreme MIMO router (I have about 10 devices in the house now trying to access the wi-fi), so I installed a new Medialink Wireless-N (150) router that I had purchased a couple months ago. I followed all of the install directions for the router meticulously, but when I started everything up, I had no internet connection on the Windows 7 desktop PC connected to the router (wired connection). I tried accessing the router directly through my browser and still nothing. I was, however, able to connect just fine with wi-fi and complete the router setup. I then tested a wired connection to the router from my network, and that worked fine. I tested all of my ethernet cables and verified that those don't seem to be an issue. As I poked around further on the desktop, I noticed that my network settings showed "Unidentified Network". I tried disabling my Windows firewall, but that did nothing. A Medialink rep had me check Device Manager, but when I go there, the window is completely blank. There are NO devices at all listed. The Medialink rep then said there was nothing further she could do aside from recommending I run CCleaner to clean up the registry. I did that, rebooted, but still no network nor devices listed under Device Manager.

Note that 30 minutes before swapping the routers, everything on my desktop PC, including the internet connection, was working just fine.

I'm desperate to get my desktop reconnected. Any ideas on what to do?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Remove the ethernet cable and reboot. Check for devices then.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried removing the ethernet cable and rebooting, but no change. Any other ideas?

I ran into an issue on another Windows PC before (helping a friend), and they had the same issue with nothing showing up under Device Manager (the network connection was fine on that computer). I never was able to figure that out. I don't recall the last time I looked at Device Manager on this computer, so I don't know if that issue is related at all to the network issue (i.e. the device list might have been empty from long before I swapped out the router).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you have any recent restore points that you can go back to?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

caservant (2013-01-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's been quite awhile since anything was installed on the computer - hardware or software - aside from regular automatic Windows updates, so I'm guessing I don't have any recent restore points. Since the issue just began today when there had been ZERO changes of any sort other than powering down, installing the new router, and booting back up, it seems like there should be another solution. I'm afraid of running into more issues by restoring from an old restore point. Is there anything else to try before I do this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can always check the date for the latest restore point.

Anyway, you can also check the network adapter by opening the network and sharing center and then choosing Change adapter settings. What happens if you try that?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Medialink had me check under "Change adapter settings". Unfortunately, that screen is also entirely blank.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If your network adapter is installed and working you should never have the problems mentioned above. The adapter should just connect once plugged in.
    - you say there is nothing showing under device manager...do you mean nothing? You should have a section named Network Adapters - if you don't, or it's empty, then your NIC has died.
    - you said you could connect okay wirelessly, is that from the same computer?
    - Other problems I can think of would be the network card has been disabled, or the required drivers are disabled or not installed. Click Start and type Network and Sharing Center - you should see "local Area Connection". If it's there, open the properties and see if it looks comparable to other computers on your network.
    Let me know what you find from there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMac56 For This Useful Post:

caservant (2013-01-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input! I had a Dell tech from India on the line for about 3 hours. Did a system scan (sfc /scannow) which we finally stopped after about 30 minutes when it had reached only 62% complete. We then booted in Safe Mode and checked -- still no network connection and nothing showing under Device Manager. We then did a System Restore. The last restore point was on Jan 25 - just 3 days ago - which was a critical Windows update. That just finished. Still no network connection, and also nothing under Device Manager.

Regarding the working wireless connection, that was not on the computer having the connection problems. I have a notebook, 3 Kindle Fires for my kids, and a tablet, and they are all connecting to the internet just fine. I even tested my notebook with a wired connection to ensure that it was not an issue with the router. The only issue is with my desktop PC which is wired to the router.

Regarding Device Manager, by nothing, I mean absolutely nothing is listed under there. The window is completely empty. If I click on "Change adapter settings" under Networking and Sharing Center, that window is also completely empty. I'm wondering if this is a separate issue, though, since the System Restore didn't fix this.

I'm really at a loss as the ONLY thing I did between a working system (i.e. having a network connection) and not was powering the computer down, plugging in the new router, then starting the computer up again. No hardware or software changes of any kind on the computer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It's very hard not to suspect that the fact that you can't access the internet is connected to the fact that no devices are shown by Windows. Not that it matters now, but this type of situation is precisely one where a recent full image would help, if you had one and could restore it.

As it is, I would probably suggest a Windows 7 non destructive, repair install.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried resetting TCP/IP?

at a command prompt type: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After many long hours on this, I finally did something I should have done at the beginning: reinstalled the old router to see if that fixed the problems. As soon as I did that, my desktop PC had no problems recognizing the network connection, though there was still nothing listed under Device Manager. I then tried plugging in the new router again. Same issue as previously -- I was able to connect with other devices via wi-fi and wired connection, but not with wired connection from my desktop. So it seems that (1) it is an issue between my desktop and this particular router, and (2) the Device Manager issue seems to be a different issue -- but still one I need to resolve.

Any other thoughts? I appreciate all the input so far.

Thanks
    Perhaps you could log in as a different user on the PC in question, to see if perhaps it was your user profile that got hosed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Perhaps you could log in as a different user on the PC in question, to see if perhaps it was your user profile that got hosed.
    I did try giving another user on the computer Admin access, then logged into that account. That didn't seem to change anything. What is weird is that this seems to be an issue with just this computer with this particular router, even though other computers have no problems with this router, and this computer doesn't have issues with other routers.

Thanks
    There are some things to try to get your Device Manger listing back here:
    http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-t...mpty-or-blank/

Jerry

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

caservant (2013-01-29)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast