Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Once you get Device Manager back, see if there's a newer driver for your Ethernet card. Also check for a firmware update for your router. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling the adapter in Device Manger, reboot and let windows reinstall it.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks for that link. I tried both methods included in that article, but neither solved my Device Manager issue. However, there was a comment on that page that recommended running svchost.exe as an administrator. That worked! So now I have my devices appearing again. I just wish I could get my new router to work with my computer now. For what it is worth, with my old router installed and working, my systems tray shows 2 networks: (1) "Network 2" with Internet access, and apparently definied as a home network, and (2) "Unidentified network", which shows a bench icon and indicates "No network access." When I install the new router, I see only the second network ("Undentified network").

Thanks
    Try going to your Ethernet adapter in device manager.
    Right click on it and select properties.
    Click on the Advanced tab.
    Scroll down and click on speed and dupelx
    click on the down arrow under value and set it to 10 megabits full duplex instead of the current auto negotiation.
    Click ok,

Disable and re enable the adapter.

If that works, you have a compatibility problem with the router. You can check for a router firmware update, ethernet adapter update or look at getting a different router.

Jerry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

caservant (2013-01-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, everyone, for your help in all of this. After endless hours troubleshooting all of this, and frustrated b/c I had 2 other old routers that were working fine with with my desktop, I realized there had to be a reasonable solution. That may not be true, but I did stumble on a working solution. The other routers that worked were using an IP address of 192.168.10.1. The new router I was using defaults to 192.168.0.1. I accessed the router wirelessly from my tablet, changed the IP address to match that of the previous routers, then rebooted the router. Without even having to reboot my desktop, it started showing a working network connection. All of my devices are now connecting fine. Thanks again for all of the troubleshooting help!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    I am glad you solved it, but that made me wonder if your desktop is configured to get an IP automatically or whether it is set to a fixed IP. Which one is it?

Thanks
    Wondeful. Thanks for posting your solution. You might have had an IP address conflict with your modem when set at its default address.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you gonna see a router in devices anyway? A router is external. Unless P&P is enabled at the router which I'll admit I've not attempted so I'm unclear there. But just plugging a router into a NIC, in my book anyway, is not going to show the router in devices.

Feel free to correct me. Inquiring minds need to know... :-)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syclone View Post
    Are you gonna see a router in devices anyway? A router is external. Unless P&P is enabled at the router which I'll admit I've not attempted so I'm unclear there. But just plugging a router into a NIC, in my book anyway, is not going to show the router in devices.

Feel free to correct me. Inquiring minds need to know... :-)
    It wasn't the router not showing in devices, which it will not, indeed, but no devices were being shown. None at all.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Appreciate the response.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by caservant View Post
    After many long hours on this, I finally did something I should have done at the beginning: reinstalled the old router to see if that fixed the problems. As soon as I did that, my desktop PC had no problems recognizing the network connection, though there was still nothing listed under Device Manager. I then tried plugging in the new router again. Same issue as previously -- I was able to connect with other devices via wi-fi and wired connection, but not with wired connection from my desktop. So it seems that (1) it is an issue between my desktop and this particular router, and (2) the Device Manager issue seems to be a different issue -- but still one I need to resolve.

Any other thoughts? I appreciate all the input so far.
    I agree with BigMac56. Unless you can connect to anything with this ethernet adapter, I suspect that it is dead. Otherwise it should appear in "device manager", and would appear as " a network cable is unplugged" or "disabled" in "network connections.

If you wish to replace it, opening the case and installing a PCI slot device is easy and cheap. If you have other systems that connect to the router via cable, then you may not wish to pursue it.

Not being able to connect via cable is a problem, should your wireless settings be altered, and you can't get in to reset them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12