New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Orig XP Admin Acct;need Registry Fix to bring it back

I had this problem several years ago, I just forgot until this disaster. Absentmindedly added a new Admin Acct which caused the original XP Admin Acct to go away. There is a Registry Fix that will bring back the original Admin Acct shipped with XP. Why get it back?..lost all of my FireFox bookmarks and several installed programs. The bookmarks are my safety blanket. Hope you can lend a hand.

Thanks
    My guess is that you didn't lose the original admin acct, it's just no longer readily visible.

If you are logged in on another admin acct, you should be able to run the programs you installed under the original admin acct; the trick is to locate the shortcuts to the programs.

Look under C:\Users\Admin\Desktop. I'll bet they're all in that folder. Copy the desired shortcuts to C:\Users\Public\Desktop, or C:\Users\All Users\Desktop, or however you find it listed. Or copy them to the Desktop folder of the user you are logged in as. I'll bet you can then run all of those programs.

As for Firefox bookmarks, reboot the computer to Safe Mode with Networking. You'll likely be able to log in under the original admin account, because all administrator accounts show up at the Safe Mode login screen; but I have found that the default administrator account doesn't show up at the normal Windows login screen. Once logged in, you can then run Firefox, and export your favorites. Then log in to Windows the regular way, and import your favorites back into Firefox.

To get to Safe Mode with Networking, reboot the computer, and have your finger ready to hit the F8 key. As soon as the initial HP/Dell/IBM/etc splash screen goes away, hit F8 a few times. You will be presented with a menu which includes Safe Mode with Networking as one of the choices.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-01-30 at 18:17.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

do2 (2013-01-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Superb workaround! Many thanks for your helping hand

'Really appreciated the simplicity, ease of use and superior "no loss" fix you provided.

It is better than the registry edit I was anticipating since I can now use a standard account for greater safety on the web.

I really can't imagine a better fix and outcome. You really made my day and much more

5. The Following User Says Thank You to do2 For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-01-31)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That really is an odd quirk of XP isn't it? Not that it happens per se, but that brilliant engineers couldn't see that possible outcome coming down the street like the Space Shuttle in downtown L.A.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Agreed. I think the admin change may have been offered as a 'critical update' to fix the problem of some users deleting the administrator account and thus not able to receive XP updates. Not sure, that may be a rabbit trail....And some of us still think of XP as Old Reliable. I have Win7 licenses yet to use.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by do2 View Post
    'Really appreciated the simplicity, ease of use and superior "no loss" fix you provided.

It is better than the registry edit I was anticipating since I can now use a standard account for greater safety on the web.

I really can't imagine a better fix and outcome. You really made my day and much more
    Glad I could help.

Speaking of greater safety on the web, you might also want to create a guest account (i.e. one with "guest", or bare minimum, privileges) to use when you log onto public wifis. That way, if you happen to pick up something malicious, it likely won't be able to do much.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-01-31 at 14:10.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

do2 (2013-02-01)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    XP also has Steady State (real time virtualization), which when downloaded and installed and implemented, just makes XP impervious to malware gaining a foothold for longer than it takes to reboot, no matter what privileges an account has. One always has to disable the Windows Update setting in Steady State each time its booted into though (setting doesn't stick), otherwise it takes too long checking for and possibly installing updates on each boot up.