Thanks

New Team Viewer 8 released

Team Viewer 8 has been released. This app allows an individual to control a remote PC from their location. It also allows meetings between remote PCs.

I recently used Team Viewer for the first time. I have been reading about it for quite some time in these forums, but had a chance to use it for the first time yesterday. I live in upstate New York and my sister is in central Florida (approx. 1500 miles away). She had originally installed Win 8 as an Upgrade, and was having various irritating problems. She finally realized a Custom Install with format would be in order. After her installation she wanted help with some partitioning chores as well as some cleanup chores. It was somewhat aggravating walking her through the Custom Install by phone, there was no way I was going to do the partitioning chores over the phone.

Hence Team Viewer. I already had Team Viewer V7 on my PC. I uninstalled it and installed V8. I then had her install Team Viewer on her PC. I connected to her PC and went to town. The connections were almost as fast while controlling her PC as if I were working on my PC (we both have cable modems through Time Warner Road Runner). I did have to set one option in Team Viewer to allow key stroke combinations to be used on her PC from my keyboard, but after that everything just worked.

I was able to delete her old Recovery Partition using Partition Wizard installed on her PC (I actually installed Partition Wizard on her PC by downloading the app onto her PC and installing it, while controlling everything from my PC) I then resized the C Drive into the unallocated space and rebooted her PC. We had to re-establish the connection again once the moving chore was completed. Next I resized the C Drive to a more manageable size. She has a large HD which already had an unused Data Drive. I left about 100 Gb in the C Drive and moved the other 200 Gb into the Data Drive. We then proceeded to move data into her Data drive.

Team Viewer performed flawlessly for the entire operation. I am impressed. As I said this was my first use. Now it will be easier to attempt to help my mother on her Vista PC. I already installed Team Viewer V7 on her PC and next I will take a look there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanks, Ted - I may move over to TeamViewer 8 from CrossLoop.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    I am very impressed so far. I have been on most of the morning with my sister helping her some more. This is one impressive app!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been a fan of TeamViewer for a few years now. I like that it's small, lightweight, and does not require .NET or Java. (Are you listening, Citrix?) I hate it when you're trying to help someone and before they can use the remote assistance app they're forced to install or update something else.

I also like that TeamViewer provides a no-install Quick-Support ("QS") client component, so the person you're trying to help doesn't need to install something that will get left installed after the remote session is ended. (I've seen friends' computers that have a GoToAssist client still running in the background, months after a one-time support session with some major company, and that kind of behavior disturbs me.)

And lastly, I like that there is a portable version of the TeamViewer host available. I keep different versions of TeamViewer Portable on a flash drive, which comes in handy when the person you're trying to help has an older version. Running from a flash drive also means I can launch a remote session from any computer, anywhere, anytime.

Thanks
    I also use it and like it and they have good support...

Version 8 has been out for awhile now.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"