Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Leads to the slick GUI for remote management, including shut down and restart commands.

Security Screen.jpg

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Start Menu Alternatives and Installation File Size

Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post

Turns out that Microsoft mainly disabled the Windows 7 Start Menu, as it was impractical to build the Windows 8 architecture without it. Much of the code is still right there natively in Windows 8. StartIsBack is extremely lightweight, zero privileges (can be installed by a standard user account), and from my couple of days experience with it, is the Windows 7 Start Menu, with some added customizations for the Start Screen and desktop, including the "live" areas/corners of the desktop. It can also pull all of the "non-app" tiles from the Start Screen and put their shortcuts in the Start Menu, leaving the Start Screen strictly Apps.
    My curiosity was aroused, so I checked on file sizes of programs I have used:

Classic Shell 8.36 MB

Stardock Start8 4.64 MB

StartIsBack 800 KB

Thank you bbearren!

Rich

@Jerry
    Installation setup file sizes.
    Last edited by rmonroe36; 2013-02-02 at 15:59. Reason: Clarification

Thanks
    How did you measure file size? Task manager shows classic shell service uses 496k of memory and Classic Start menu uses 1 meg for a total of about 1.5 megs of memory on my laptop. In any event, the amount of space used by any of these programs is trivial on today's PCs.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    In any event, the amount of space used by any of these programs is trivial on today's PCs.
    My guess would be that the various references to 'footprint' in this discussion may relate more to the the size of required modifications to Win 8 to get it to do what users want it to do than to conserving RAM or disk space. To a significant degree, the fewer the required modifications, the lower the likelihood of bugs, and while StartIsBack may be relatively new on the scene (which tends to increase the probability of yet-undiscovered bugs) its author is by no means a novice in this area.

A more delicate touch also represents a more elegant solution to some of us. If/when I decide to use one of these programs on Win 8 I'll definitely give StartIsBack a try (though I also have some sentimental interest in reverting to a Start button look and interface that predates Win 7's, so Classic Shell will also be in the running).

Thanks
    My view is that the decision should be based on person preference of the look and feel and functions of the various options rather than "footprint". I haven't heard of any issues with any of them. That could change if Microsoft provides an update to prevent some of these features from working. They really want everyone to visit the "modorn" interface as much as possible to enhance the profitability of the Store.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I'll be all in on my virtual propagation if it really is the Start7 menu replete with Windows Security on the remote desktop screen. Start8 does not have it. Ya, functionality if far more important than "footprint." If that were important, no one would be using these bloated OSes we have now. Talk about the proverbial deck chair thrown off the QE2!

Thanks
    Allow me to use an analogy to describe what I mean by footprint. Norton AV/AM has a large footprint. McAfee AV/AM has a large footprint.

Microsoft Security Essentials has a small footprint. Windows Defender has a small footprint.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Allow me to use an analogy to describe what I mean by footprint. Norton AV/AM has a large footprint. McAfee AV/AM has a large footprint.

Microsoft Security Essentials has a small footprint. Windows Defender has a small footprint.
    By that measure, all of the Windows 8 start menu utilities have a small footprint.

I assume you are referring to the amount of resident memory required by an application.

Jerry

Thanks
    How did you measure file size? Task manager shows classic shell service uses 496k of memory and Classic Start menu uses 1 meg for a total of about 1.5 megs of memory on my laptop. In any event, the amount of space used by any of these programs is trivial on today's PCs.

Jerry
    With Task Manager in expanded view, I cannot find StartIsBack, not as an app, a process, or a service. Either I'm not looking hard enough, or it is simply calling a native Windows process/service.

As I posted earlier, I can't tell any difference between the Windows 7 Start Menu and StartIsBack running in Windows 8.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-02-02 at 16:23.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Found this here:http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/win...w-318442.shtml
    Because StartIsBack accesses native Windows code, you won’t find a third-party process running in Task Manager, so you cannot kill or disable it. The only way to get rid of it is to run the uninstall procedure.
    Jerry

Thanks
    Found this here:http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/win...w-318442.shtml

Because StartIsBack accesses native Windows code, you won’t find a third-party process running in Task Manager, so you cannot kill or disable it. The only way to get rid of it is to run the uninstall procedure.
    Jerry
    I'd call that a small footprint.

Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well StartIsBack does have the Windows Security button in remote screen, I got all excited, gave it a go and instead of restart, shut down and sleep, only got disconnect. However found out by experimentation that holding the control key down while clicking the restart/shut down/sleep icon, I was presented with an emergency restart option, so that's something.

StartIsBack was definitely not as smooth on my bench test as Start 8 is. I wonder if that's because it is suppressing any hint of the disgusting side of Windows 8? Start 8 flashes the Start screen before moving over to the desktop. At approximately the same point, StartIsBack does not show the start screen but the little blue busy orb is a spinning and the taskbar is fully minimized but a sort of fast line jump right at the bottom would indicate something is going on for a second and then the taskbar emerges.

All in all a reasonable alternative but for me it didn't stick it's nose up any higher than the rest.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    StartIsBack was definitely not as smooth on my bench test as Start 8 is. I wonder if that's because it is suppressing any hint of the disgusting side of Windows 8? Start 8 flashes the Start screen before moving over to the desktop. At approximately the same point, StartIsBack does not show the start screen but the little blue busy orb is a spinning and the taskbar is fully minimized but a sort of fast line jump right at the bottom would indicate something is going on for a second and then the taskbar emerges.

All in all a reasonable alternative but for me it didn't stick it's nose up any higher than the rest.
    Interesting. I don't have that behavior. When I boot into Windows 8, I get the lock screen first, click to get the login, login and the desktop appears immediately. I have the mouse pointer with the tiny busy orb beside it for about a second, maybe two, but the Start Menu will launch without hesitation.

I don't have the Taskbar on Auto-hide, so it's visible immediately. I haven't tried any of the others, so I have no comparison to make. I only decided to try StartIsBack because of the review I read that described its use of native code in Windows 8, and the small footprint (a determining factor in my preferences for a utility app).

--edit-- I put my Taskbar in Auto-hide and rebooted. After login, the desktop appears immediately, and the Taskbar jumps up as soon as I can get the mouse down to it from the center of the screen. There is no hesitation of anything.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-02-03 at 07:21.

Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I always test via remote on a slow drive so I can pick up on differences more easily and its not that SIB wasn't fine, but that I was kind of expecting better since it is tapping the native code, but there still seems to be some "negotiation" going on with how Windows 8 is designed to startup. Start8 flashes through SS and SIB seems to freeze screen it past. I may not even notice the hesitation on a normal install.

Thanks
    Hello Y'all,

I went to the SIB website today to download and noticed that they say it doesn't play well with Windows Defender!
    A reboot is recommended after installation. Windows Defender is known to cause slowdowns and not recommended.
    Does anyone have any experience using the two programs together?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast