New Lounger
    Thanks

Which version of Windows 8 did I download - 32 or 64 bit?

I purchased Windows 8 Pro and downloaded the files to be installed later. I purchased and download Win8 from a 32 bit version of Windows XP Pro, but did the download on a 64 bit laptop. So what did I download? Did I download the 32 bit or 64 bit version? I've since made a bootable DVD. It there a way to look at the files on the DVD and determine what version I have?

Thanks, John Brush

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The downloader identifies the system you are downloading from and gives you that bitness, which was 32. You can verify this in Control Panel>System.

You can download Win 8 again from your laptop to get the 64 bit version by using the link at the top of the email MS sent you. I believe you would 1st have to uninstall Win 8 and reinstall whatever was originally on it. This is assuming your original OS qualifies for the upgrade.

Rich

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you can tell by the difference in download size or subsequent ISO size. Just over 2 gigs for the 32-bit ISO and almost 2.7 gigs for the 64-bit version.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I always loved 64-bits on my Mac now letīs try Windows 64-bits for the first time 8 )

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brushj View Post
    I purchased and download Win8 from a 32 bit version of Windows XP Pro, but did the download on a 64 bit laptop. So what did I download?
    What you downloaded is determined by the operating system (32-bit or 64-bit) used to perform the download, not the capabilities of the hardware that it's running on. So if what you're saying is that you were running 32-bit XP Pro on your 64-bit laptop while you performed the purchase and download (otherwise, you seem to be saying that you performed two separate downloads) then you should have gotten the 32-bit version of the Win 8 Pro Upgrade (and, as FUN noted, you can tell by the rough size of the .iso file or DVD contents). If you'd also like a 64-bit version you'll need to perform another download (using the link near the top of the confirmation email you received from Microsoft and the product key included in that email) from a 64-bit Microsoft operating system (the same product key works to install either version, though obviously will activate only on one machine).

It may or may not matter, once you've obtained a product key via the Microsoft upgrade advisor, whether you're (re)downloading from a legitimately upgradable system (the installation process will check that later anyway) - though the .exe file used to perform the download won't run on anything earlier than XP.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who responded. Without a doubt I now know that I downloaded the 32 bit version. Here's the problem. Although I have a 64 bit machine, I'm running WinXP 32 bit. The plan was to burn a DVD and do a clean install of Win8 64 bit. So why won't Microsoft allow me to download the version I want, regardless of the bitness the operating system used to perform the download? I guess my only alternative is to find a friend running a 64 bit OS and perform the download on that machine. Why is Microsoft making this upgrade process so difficult?

. . . John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by brushj View Post
    Thanks to all who responded. Without a doubt I now know that I downloaded the 32 bit version. Here's the problem. Although I have a 64 bit machine, I'm running WinXP 32 bit. The plan was to burn a DVD and do a clean install of Win8 64 bit. So why won't Microsoft allow me to download the version I want, regardless of the bitness the operating system used to perform the download? I guess my only alternative is to find a friend running a 64 bit OS and perform the download on that machine. Why is Microsoft making this upgrade process so difficult?
    For what it's worth, when I had the reverse problem on launch day (downloaded using a 64-bit system but wanted a 32-bit upgrade version) the support folks at Microsoft suggested that they were still sorting out the process and that at some point in the future it should be possible to download the version you actually want rather than get what Microsoft thinks you want based on your system architecture. So it's possible that if you spoke with the support people they'd now be able to give you a way to download whichever version you want (though I wouldn't count on it).

Another possibility might be to download a 64-bit version of Windows 7 from Digital River (I don't have the links at my fingertips but someone here likely does), install it temporarily without entering a product key (I don't think you'll need to activate it), and use that to perform the 64-bit Win 8 Pro Upgrade download. Yes, that would be a pain as well (and I whole-heartedly agree that Microsoft should have done something sensible to avoid the need for such contortions).