Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Keyboard short-cuts stop working

I'm using Word 2010. I can be working happily, using keyboard shortcuts for things like copy, paste, superscript, etc. and all of a sudden they stop working. The shortcut ends up appear in the document as a rectangle with a ? inside. WHAT IS GOING ON, does anyone know?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The rectangle with a question mark inside it is showing you have used an ascii font with a character which is outside the ascii range. If you change the font to one of the unicode fonts then you will see a proper character instead but this won't solve your problem.

It sounds like your keyboard may have multiple functions for the Ctrl key - is it possible that some other key on your keyboard changes the mode of the Ctrl key (eg a Function Key)? Does it have anything else written on it?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Andrew. How would another key on the KB change the mode of the CTRL key and how would I determine if that's being done and how it's being done? What I find odd is that it just "happens" all of a sudden...the CTRL key functions normally, then it doesn't.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Could there be a short-circuit or other problem with the keyboard?

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jan...I don't think so, because if I restart Word, the short-cuts work properly again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If restarting Word clears the problem then it probably won't be a change of function on a specific key. There must be something else happening.

Is it a wireless keyboard?
    Do you get the problem if you start Word in Safe Mode? (see http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to...0-in-safe-mode )
    Do you get the problem if you are typing in a different typeface eg Calibri?

Another possibility is that a foreign keyboard has been switched on accidentally. Check the Language toolbar on your Windows taskbar. Do all the standard punctuation keys insert what you expect eg ;".,/, or even Shift-2
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia