Thread: Windows.old?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows.old?

I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit to Windows 8. The Windows.old directory uses almost 20 GB of my SSD.
    I expect that this is my Windows 7. Since I have no intention of reverting, is there a reason to keep it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Once you are satisfied that all is well with Windows 8 and all your data is OK you can get rid of Windows.old. The best way is to use disk cleanup. See How to remove the Windows.old folder for instructions.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

nwarp (2013-02-28)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan_1 View Post
    I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit to Windows 8. The Windows.old directory uses almost 20 GB of my SSD.
    I expect that this is my Windows 7. Since I have no intention of reverting, is there a reason to keep it?
    For what it's worth, when I test-upgraded a virgin Win 7 system to ITSELF the increase in size compared with a 'clean install' of Win 7 was considerably more than just the size of the Windows.old folder and I don't know whether disk cleanup would have gotten rid of everything extraneous - a point you might want to consider if you're fairly tight for space on your SSD. Furthermore, many people here would consider a 'clean install' (where you format the partition containing the system to be upgraded during the upgrade process) to result in a noticeably stabler system than occurs when you perform an actual in-place upgrade that retains portions of the old system, though you'd have to go through the process of reinstalling applications and saving/restoring data you wanted to retain if you went this route.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the MS how to.
    Got a lot of apps/data/etc on the drive. Everything is running smoothly (& backed up).
    Gonna go for it!

Thanks
    I'm just upgrading 20-or-so PCs at work from XP to Windows 7, and have made use of Windows.old to get Stuff from the XP Documents and Settings folders (which are also backed up). After a month or two of Windows 7 use I shall get rid of them, since, as you say, they are not trivially sized.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...