2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8 and Samsung SSD - Experience

I have a new Samsung SSD 840 500GB drive that I am planning to install on my Dell XPS 8000 system running Windows 8 Pro. (Not started yet - I'm in the process of backing up) The Samsung product documentation is thin and incomplete. There is a piece of software (Samsung Magician) that, as far as I can tell, only functions to implement the trim function and support updates to the drive firmware. It won't install on Win8 and has to be run under Win7 compatibility mode. I thought the trim function was native to Windows 8. Has anyone had experience with installing a SSD drive (esp. a Samsung) for a Windows 8 PC? This drive will replace my existing C: drive - and there is software available to clone the C: drive to the new SSD - I expect an adventure with that process (though I have seen comments on Amazon saying it works fine).

Advice from those who have tried this (and have good or bad experiences) would be appreciated.

David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The software is probably for manual administration of TRIM and garbage collection and other maintenance updates. Windows 8 and the drive's firmware have an automated protocol separate from that.

Two main things one should keep in mind when cloning from a platter drive to an SSD. If the platter drive's partition(s) is not aligned on a boundary, one needs to use cloning software that has the option to optimize for SSD (which means alignment). The second is to make sure to run (refresh) the Windows Experience Index so the operating system can determine it is now on a SSD so it will disable scheduled defragmenting and implement TRIM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2013-02-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I assume the Samsung software is designed to do the clone correctly. We'll see....

David

New Lounger
    Thanks

win8 and Samsung SSD

go to the Samsung site and download their data migration tool. For some reason they dont]'t pack it with the drive. It worked beautifly for me! The destination drive must be Samsung (830 or 840, I believe)