Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Getting Free Cell on 8

I have been playing free cell many years now , I started with Game #1 and am now at game 40,652. I have played each game until I win it.

The darn new computer with windows 8 has no free cell game downloaded on it. I tried to get a download game off the web but can't find the old game with game numbers on it. I don't want a new version with out the game numbers

The game I want is Microsoft Free Cell version 5.1
    ( build 2600.xpsp_120821-1629 service pac 3 ) By Jim Horne

Does anyone know how I can get this version to download ?? or if I can buy it somewhere ?

My goal was to get to game 100,000 before I died (:

Aloha from Kauai
    Leon

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Your question asking the same thing on the RV.net forums was answered earlier. Furthermore, the latest entry (post #9) links back to a thread here in the Lounge.

Some might not approve or like it; but be aware that copying executable or dll files from another installation for use on another is probably in violation of the licence for the original installation. The games patcher app often used triggers alerts on several antivirus products and can't be guaranteed to be clean. Whether that affects your decision on how to proceed is up to you.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tinto tech

The post above is my first on this forum. It is not a copy of any other post. I did post on RV Net a similar post but this post id different.
    it asks the same general question, put them side by side and you will see.

Joined this forum to get answers to my questions not to get scolded, if that is what this forum is about then Good By

Aloha Leon

Thanks
    You are not being scolded. We do tend to discourage cross posting.

I did post the original thread about Free Cell because during the beta test period because there was not an alternative. Now there is a fine Free Cell app available for free from the MS app store. It is called MS Solitaire Collection.

It is extremely difficult keeping your place in the games you are playing with the method shown in the other thread. In all probability you will be unable to do so.

Good Luck!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    PinappleKid, I'm sorry if you felt scolded. Please understand every user here is a volunteer. We are not paid: we offer our time to help and assist. It is therefore frowned upon if a reader posts a question which they have already posted and obtained and answer for elsewhere.

The question you raised in the RV.Net forums is asking the same thing and describing why you want to do so. Perhaps it is a difference in timezones, but that question was answered before you posted the same general question here. It also provided a link to a Medico's thread here in The Lounge from last year showing how to do what you want to do.

It's not a problem going to that thread in The Lounge and saying something like "hey, I don't understand, please spell it out for me.", or even referencing the answer you received in the RV.Net forums and asking for clarification, but posting the same question that was already asked and answered elsewhere can result in wasted effort for volunteers here.

As for the licensing element of my answer: I have my own opinions and will offer them if asked, but I do not and can not tell readers what to do - only to suggest.

The methods employed get these games working apparently do function, so it is entirely up to you if you wish to follow them or if you wish to consider any questions about the licence conditions.

Oh, and if it's not too late, welcome to The Lounge. I apologize once more if you felt scolded. I do hope you understand the reaction and decide to stay, we have much to offer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have read the cross posting post here and agree to most of it. There is of course many who do not answer/read both forums
    and I have been only getting the answer " It can't be done " on RV Net no one has actually answered my question which is
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    The game I want is Microsoft Free Cell version 5.1 ( build 2600.xpsp_120821-1629 service pac 3 ) By Jim Horne
    Does anyone know how I can get this version to download ?? or if I can buy it somewhere ?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OK, to answer one question: it can't be purchased as a standalone game in the same form as the original.

It came bundled with Windows XP. To play it on Windows 8 it needs copying from Windows XP, or downloading from somewhere on the internet. Downloading it is a potentially a dangerous thing to do, so many who wished to re-enable the games on Windows 8 (and other Windows platforms) have copied them from pre-existing XP installations. That is likely to be in violation of the licence and hence my second statement.

Anyway, perhaps you missed the reply on the RV.net thread that pointed you to this thread here in The Lounge. Some of the links may or may not work anymore, and some readers have suggested using links here and here.

Good Luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Tito Tech

Only problem is I am going from XP to windows 8 ( not from 7 to 8 ) I do have
    a windows 7 computer also but the games are not what I want on 7 either
    ( no numbers, to much animation ) why can't Microsoft just be happy with what they had
    or at least make a couple bucks and offer the old versions as a download, they sell everything else ?

I was dreaming that the transfer wire would bring the games over but alas it didn't, then I downloaded
    Picasso as soon as the down load finished Bingo all my pictures loaded on it in the exact same order as the old computer
    so they must have been lurking somewhere down in the bowels of the new one waiting to pop their heads up.

Since Free cell is a file and not a program I was hoping the same would happen with it.

I will just keep my old XP machine to play games on. Possibly their are many old goats like me who want the vintage games
    and someone will find a way someday ??

Aloha from Kauai

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Probably not, those sorts of "low impact" games are perfect for apps.

Several self-instigated solutions may be possible. One is keeping the old XP system around as you plan to but that will die someday and then what? Two; Paragon offers a system virtualization program called Go Virtual that is sometimes very successful in virtualizing a operating system, and sometimes no so much. If you tried it I would try producing both the VirtualBox version and the VMWare player version and see if one works better than the other. Forget the VirtualPC version. Finally, three depends on what version of Windows 7 you have. If it's Pro or above, you qualify for a free copy of XP virtual, called XP mode that can be downloaded along with VirtualPC and installed there. Then install VMWare Player 3.X version and use the Import XP mode command in the menu (removed from later versions of VMWare; not sure if its still in 3.1.6 or if you need to go back to 3.0.x) to get XP mode converted to a much more portable folder which you can move to any other system and run it in the latest VMware version compatible with Windows 8.

So there ya go, when Microsoft kicks ya in the kidneys you counter with a heel of the hand to the nasal septum and sprint right by.
    If you try virtual, I would go for the XP mode as you'll get a fully functional VM whereas the Go Virtual product usually cannot add audio or the ability to attach USB devices.

Thanks
    I am not positive, but the OP wants to continue the games where he left off on the XP machine, something like game number 40,652. I do not believe this will be possible except on the old XP machine. I do not believe there is a way to successfully bring those games forward to a new installation. I was unable to do so when I used the method I posted in the other thread mentioned here. I had to start over. I'm afraid the OP will have to as well, even if he gets the method I showed to work. The patcher is no longer available where I found it. It might be available somewhere else, but his already won games will be lost.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This might be worth a look http://www.patience-revisited.com/index.php/freecell

It says "The game numbers in 'Set Game Number' are the same as used by Windows FreeCell" but it isn't obvious to me (admittedly on a very brief inspection) where you can actually download the program from.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    GoVirtual should preserve the game in order since it uses that installation to build the VM. XP Mode would not; one would have to find where the position info is on the old system and transfer or enter those settings into XP Mode. I've done just that with more advanced games but I don't know where those are stored for games that come with XP.

Thanks
    I don't play FreeCell, nor have I ever..... but I've spent thousands of hours, over the years, playing Solitaire.

When I first looked at Windows 7 I was appalled, that some jerkwad had rewritten old Sol to modernize it. I hated it.
    So I set about finding out how to make the Sol.exe from XP run on W7 (same problem with W8).

Just copying the Sol.exe file to W7 or W8 did not do the trick. Something was missing.
    It turned out to be cards.dll. Well Gollllllleeeeee!

So I just put Sol.exe and cards.dll in the root directory of W7 or W8 and made a shortcut to Sol.exe to the desktop and "Play ON".
    (that same thing may work for FreeCell as well. I've not tried it though)

If the licensing Police want to come knocking on my door, so be it. In the mean time I'll continue to enjoy the same old Sol that I've played for many years.

Things like that, are just another good reason to keep at least one PC with Windows XP/SP3 on it, for backward compatibility.

Cheers Mates and Happy Computing.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, in fact there are a lot of games, including Battlefield 1942, Mods that don't run worth a hoot in 7 and I suspect 8 as well. I only keep a bit of that latter two for forward compatibility!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember that in the MS version of Freecell you can select a game by number when you start to play - and the link I gave in post #11 says so - therefore user history is irrelevant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast